Ammoman.com: California orders cease Jan 21 (UPDATED)

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
FelixEstrella

Re: Ammoman.com: California orders cease Jan 21

Post by FelixEstrella »

moose42 wrote: Can you blame them? With the way CA treats "Merchants of Destruction?"

If I owned a firearms and firearms accessories shop I don't know if I'd sell to CA either.

Sorry Felix your state has its head up it's sphincter.
Yup. Like BE says, there are plenty of other vendors who don't succumb to the idle threats and harassment of CA-DOJ. For example, I just bought a Vz-58 receiver from the lady who runs Assault Weapons of Ohio (acquired the assets of the now defunct Ohio Rapid Fire). I spoke to her at length about the actual laws pertaining to shipping to CA, and how screwed up the laws in CA are, but despite that she is trying her DARNEDEST to ship to CA .... complete 180 compared to the putzes at Sportsmen's Guide.

Anyone looking for parts kits for M-76s, Galils, AK, Vz-58, etc ..... check out Assault Weapons of Ohio.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:No problem. There are merchants who are happy to see a major competitor throw in the towel due to paperwork & compliance challenges.
Unfortunately that type of merchant is almost always not to be trusted. Letting regulation do your competition for you is bad.
It's leaves more business for them in one of the world's largest gun and ammo markets. The longer they serve [strike]the CA[/strike] an overly regulated market and build their systems to support it, the deeper the moat around their business.
That's generally not considered a good thing. When you get into that kind of situation you're going to have badly distorted markets, which is bad for consumers. You've got barriers to entry for new companies, you'll see some nasty rent-seeking behavior from companies already "serving" that market, and quite possibly regulatory capture on the part of the rent-seekers.

But CA seems more than willing to do whatever it takes to screw the (legal) residents of CA....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

BTW, I emailed Eric at Ammoman and sent him information about the court decision and asking if he was still ending handgun ammo orders to CA.

I just checked his website and found their CA header graphic has been removed and orders to CA appear to be handled as normal.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Greg wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:No problem. There are merchants who are happy to see a major competitor throw in the towel due to paperwork & compliance challenges.
Unfortunately that type of merchant is almost always not to be trusted. Letting regulation do your competition for you is bad.
You mean like Midway USA? Or Brownells? JG Sales? AIM Surplus? DPMS? DSA? Bushmaster? Rock River? CMMG? Yeah, real shady, fly-by-night operators they are ..... ;-)
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Greg

Post by Greg »

FelixEstrella wrote:
Greg wrote:
You mean like Midway USA? Or Brownells? JG Sales? AIM Surplus? DPMS? DSA? Bushmaster? Rock River? CMMG? Yeah, real shady, fly-by-night operators they are ..... ;-)
Give it time. You'll know the end is near when companies that still sell to the CA market feel that they can start adding on a 'CA surcharge'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:Give it time. You'll know the end is near when companies that still sell to the CA market feel that they can start adding on a 'CA surcharge'.
It's called "litigation cost" and is built into everything you buy. Considering the labyrinthine nature of California's gun laws, I can't say as I'd blame them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Re: Ammoman.com: California orders cease Jan 21 (UPDATED)

Post by blackeagle603 »

blackeagle603 wrote:
No problem. There are merchants who are happy to see a major competitor throw in the towel due to paperwork & compliance challenges.

Now you're just making stuff up.

Regulation exists in every industry. Welcome to reality of doing business. You think getting a UL/CSA sticker on your design isn't a corrupt pay for play system?

Pout, lay on the floor, kick your feet. wax eloquent about the evil of it all day long. What-evuh... If doing business and accessing a market means doing that UL, FDA, ISO or QS9000 paperwork or paying for their expense onsite audit you do it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

moose42 wrote: Sorry Felix your state has its head up it's sphincter.
I've been voting against such abominations as California's current state and Federal representatives since 1988, and trying to influence the thinking of my leftist brothers and their Stalinist wives since 2000 (and before, in the case of my brothers).
My efforts haven't borne much fruit, but I haven't given up, as so many vendors on Gunbroker seem to have.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

CA is not currently winnable but it is worth fighting for. It may be winnable in the future. The influence on the country and world in all areas makes it a strategic battleground. The field is changing now as Gov Moonbeam and Dems are left without excuse (they have ALL the power) and their true colors are becoming apparent to many clueless voters. It's going to get worse before it gets better and it may not get better -- that doesn't make it any less a strategic battlefield.

All ya'll stay strong in states like TX, ID et al and let the light of freedom shine. We freemen in the Bear State need your example to point to. Your friendly fire? Not so much.

Every day the constrast grows more clear between results in conservative states with the death, destruction and poverty that always follows leftist policies. Leftism always leads to pain and sadness. As other leftist states like NJ start to see the fruits of a tilt to the right the CA left will be even more exposed.

More and more people in CA are waking up to that fact and there are stirrings like haven't been seen since the Prop 13 tax revolt in CA.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:
No problem. There are merchants who are happy to see a major competitor throw in the towel due to paperwork & compliance challenges.

Now you're just making stuff up.
I note you didn't contradict me directly. :lol:
Regulation exists in every industry. Welcome to reality of doing business. You think getting a UL/CSA sticker on your design isn't a corrupt pay for play system?
I've worked for a pharma. I understand the concept of 'cost of doing business'.

Nevertheless it's a fact that you seem to not want to address, that large companies *like* regulation (if not the individuals who WORK there who have to fight through it), the more the better, because it reduces competition (it strangles the small faster than the large), and because they have a decent shot of owning the regulators if they try hard enough.
Pout, lay on the floor, kick your feet. wax eloquent about the evil of it all day long. What-evuh... If doing business and accessing a market means doing that UL, FDA, ISO or QS9000 paperwork or paying for their expense onsite audit you do it.
Now you're just being stupid. It doesn't suit you.

Maybe I'm looking ahead a little too far for you, but when a state starts imposing enough regulation on an industry that players in that field start deciding to not sell in that market... I see a slippery slope that leads to something like the pharmaceutical industry. (Or where Bill Ruger thought the firearms industry as a whole was headed.) Make of it what you will. *shrug*