Speer 200gr SWC (Lead) loading

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Rich Jordan

Speer 200gr SWC (Lead) loading

Post by Rich Jordan »

I bought a box of older (1986 by the label) Speer 200gr lead SWC bullets (.452" for .45ACP) at the fun show on Sunday (cheap!). They're very consistent and have a nice cannelure. I have loading data from a Speer and several other manuals, but there's an inconsistency regarding the loaded overall length.

The only manuals that spec an overall loaded length for 'generic' 200gr SWCs say 1.275", just like most 230gr round nose bullets. The Speer manual doesn't list an OAL. That pushes the bullet way too far in to crimp into the cannelure. The farthest I can press the bullet in and still have the crimp go into the cannelure is about 1.290".

Has anyone used this bullet before? Whats the best way to go with it? Long length with crimp inside the groove or base length and crimp outside?

This is for use in a revolver. I don't use SWCs in the 1911.
Whirlibird

Re: Speer 200gr SWC (Lead) loading

Post by Whirlibird »

Since it's for a wheelgun go ahead and crimp in the cannelure, the pressures will be lower than if you seated to spec'd depth.

Don't try to push them any higher than @850 at highest, the lead is too soft for anything higher realistically.

I'll check my old Speer manual and see if there's a length listed, be back tomorrow night.

But here's a bit from Alliant powder that might help.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks, Whirlibird. I hadn't actually gone online to check load data. Didn't think of that with 8 books at the bench.

Coincidentally my load is 4.5gr Bullseye, where their listed one is 4.6.
DwightG

Post by DwightG »

Whirlibird wrote: Don't try to push them any higher than @850 at highest, the lead is too soft for anything higher realistically.
Yes. Even that may be too fast. If those were 230 gr RN, I'd suspect they're the remnant of a box I gave away years ago (probably about 1986 ;) ) because I couldn't bear the leading in my 1911. They're essentially pure lead (dead soft) so that they can be swaged in manufacture. I still have quite a few 158 gr .357s and I think a bunch of 115 RN 9mm of that stuff. Same problem, leading. They may ultimately end up being re-cast as ML round balls. No comparison to hard cast bullets but they'll probably be OK for mild plinking loads.
BadgerVet

Post by BadgerVet »

I have the old Speer manual number 9 from 1974. It lists the .452 diam. Speer 200 gr. semi-wadcutter but no overall length. This is for .45 Auto Rim revolvers. It does say that the 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter bullet should be crimped in the forward band. The picture in my book doesn't have a forward band (crimp groove) so I'm guessing that the term crimp groove and band are not the same thing. Band may refer to the area of the bullet above the crimp groove.

The max. load with Bullseye is 4.1 grains for 797 FPS from this manual.

My old Lyman Cast bullet manual from 1973 lists bullet #452460 - 200 grains with a overall length of 1.190" and a max load of 4.7 grains of Bullseye for 845 FPS.

I have found the Dillon Case Gages to be a good aid in reloading. If your completed round will drop in and drop out of the gage, it will fit a standard chamber. The .45 ACP gage is F81-15166 and sells for $11.50.

Dillon: 800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009. Fax 480-998-2786 http://www.bluepress.com.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If those are really that soft, I'd be tempted to throw them in the pot with some tin and cast them into something else. Or without the tin, and cast them into round ball for the black powder rifle.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

I'd probably aim to run them at around 750 fps or so.

Speer #12 shows a COL of 1.185 with this bullet, max charge of 4.6 grains of Bullseye at 807 fps, start at 4.2 at 744 fps.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

It's a function of lead hardness & pressure not velocity.

The Lee Manual has a helpful section explaining how to calculate top pressure for a given load and cast bullet hardness.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story