Experimental cook-off, or science wins again

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
rightisright

Re: Experimental cook-off, or science wins again

Post by rightisright »

Adding to what Mike said, what about a .50 cal can filled to the top with .22 LR? If the rounds are packed in tightly, the results might be different.

Even if there is no danger, I would suspect the firemen will retreat just because of the sound of the rounds igniting.
Alcibiades

Post by Alcibiades »

Good ol' Mythbusters with their ".50 BMG in an oven" stunt.

(If only they had tried it with boxes and boxes of ammo...)
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

Ok, found and scanned the picture! A rocket hit our parked truck in the FOB, thankfully it was sitting inbetween the two walls of grain bins. It caught almost immediately since it landed close to the fuel tank. We had a couple of boxes of 7.62 NATO Linked for the use with the M240B that were in the fire.

When they cooked off, most of them burst through the steel can and sprayed the wall about 7 ft away:

Now that's pretty good chipping off that concrete wall, certainly deadly at that range.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
kparker

Post by kparker »

Jeffro,
I've had .22s go off in the vacuum cleaner
Good grief, bro--is that a nuke-powered vacuum? Just how hot does it get in there? And doesn't it burn up all the lint in what you vacuum up? Enquiring minds, etc...
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

It doesn't have to be hot in that vacuum cleaner--the Kirby unit we have sucks everything through a high-speed rotating impeller which makes a helluva racket with something as mundane as a paper clip. I can easily see how one o' those would be able to smack a .22 rim hard enough to set off the primer. :shock:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

kparker wrote: Good grief, bro--is that a nuke-powered vacuum? Just how hot does it get in there? And doesn't it burn up all the lint in what you vacuum up? Enquiring minds, etc...
Old Grafton has it - the impeller kicked it around a few times and spit it out on the floor after the bang. That's how I saw what the remains of the cartridge looked like - I didn't dig through the bag to find it.
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Shane
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Nice pic, mud_dog.

I'm thinking that firemen wouldn't want to be anywhere near that kind of a cook-off. :?
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

rightisright wrote:Nice pic, mud_dog.
No it isn't! That's scary fuckin' shit!!! :shock: [Thanks for posting, though, Mud Dog]
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Even if the cook-off only hurled the case around, I think that would have enough force to do damage or injury. I did some experiments in my Weber last summer with primed cases only, and they were hurled about with enough force to dent the sheet metal. Add powder and I think we're talking real force here.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

How did you explain it to the wife?!

LOL I think I want to do that for the hell of it. Some call it reckless, I call it... Art.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.