What to do with a 7.65 Argentine?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Lokidude

Re: What to do with a 7.65 Argentine?

Post by Lokidude »

Keep it. Shoot it. Love it.

Seriously. I have an 1891, and it's a dream. Light recoil, plenty accurate, fun to shoot. I'm with HTRN on the dies, the bullets are easy enough to come by, you can buy loaded Hornady ammo to get brass, it's pretty simple. And around here, the Hornady stuff isn't much more than equivalent .30-06.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Battleriflefan

Post by Battleriflefan »

Hey surplus Argentine IS available, if the barrel is in good condition, why change it? You can either keep it, ot sell it. I bought a Czech VZ-24 as a basis for a 300 WinMag, and discarded the effort when I happened to find an exceptionally nice and inexpensive Savage. I can almost guarantee, buying a new Stevens will be cheaper than converting your Argentine.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote:HTRN, I was hoping you would give me some pointers!
1)The bore size is generally .311, so setting back the barrel is not an option.
2)The nominal rim size is .473, so there's no need to change or modify the bolt.
3)Commercial ammo is available - both Norma($36/20) and Prvi Partizan($16/20) makes it.
4)Brass is available from Norma, roughly $110/100
5)A barrel job will set you back anywhere from $250 and up, depending on what you want done - bluing, iron sights, ribs, barrel bands, high end barrel makers all will add to the price. Compare that with the $600 for a new Savage or CZ.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you want a 308 - there are hundreds of thousands of 'em out there.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
AZMARK

Post by AZMARK »

+1 on leaving it alone. The '91 actions aren't as strong and lack the claw extractor, and extra locking lug of the later '98 actions. But, if you really want another .308 then a new barrel is all that's needed.
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

That or trade or sell it for a .308 and let the collector have fun with it.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

AZMARK, This one is a '98 action, not a '91 action. It is marked "Argentino Modelo 1909" made in Berlin.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

HTRN wrote:
D5CAV wrote:HTRN, I was hoping you would give me some pointers!
1)The bore size is generally .311, so setting back the barrel is not an option.
2)The nominal rim size is .473, so there's no need to change or modify the bolt.
3)Commercial ammo is available - both Norma($36/20) and Prvi Partizan($16/20) makes it.
4)Brass is available from Norma, roughly $110/100
5)A barrel job will set you back anywhere from $250 and up, depending on what you want done - bluing, iron sights, ribs, barrel bands, high end barrel makers all will add to the price. Compare that with the $600 for a new Savage or CZ.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you want a 308 - there are hundreds of thousands of 'em out there.

HTRN
Thanks! I was afraid it would need a new barrel. That makes the project more trouble than it's worth. I will banish this rifle to the back of the safe for the time being.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Rebarreling does not have to be an expensive operation. 98 Mauser barrels are around $90 at Midway, add a finish reamer and borrow a set of gauges and you are good to go.

Or for the same price you could get a Lee aniversery kit and load your own. Other than needing .311 bullets, loading for the Argentine is no different than loading any other 30 cal rifle.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They're Adams and Bennett barrels, and they're CRAP.

Even at $90, you still have to buy a reamer($100) and gauges($80). Thats $270. If if you rent a reamer and gauges, you'll still clock in another 30 bucks, and I'd be willing to bet the accuracy won't be that great. Then there's the matter of sights - it won't have any.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

There is also the need for an action wrench and barrel vise.