Why do .41 LC casings stick?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Rod

Why do .41 LC casings stick?

Post by Rod »

Asked this on the Gunthing. Just wanted to start one of the first threads here. I'm using 200 grain lead bullets in front of 5 grains of Unique OR 20 grains of ffG. Casings stick in both the 6 inch 1877 and the 2 1/2 inch 1877 chambers in the cylinder. the 6 inch might be corrosion but the 2 1/2 is clean. Thoughts?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Re: Why do .41 LC casings stick?

Post by Netpackrat »

Have you tried reducing your loads to see if they still stick?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

It's just the cheap shellac you are using on the finished product. :lol: :lol:
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rod

Post by Rod »

Netpackrat wrote:Have you tried reducing your loads to see if they still stick?

I talked about this over at the soon to be gone site. I've dropped loads and it's still happening. As I said, the 6 inch colt has quite a bit of corrosion in the chambers. The 2 1/2 inch seems fairly clear. I honestly can't figure it out, but since I'm NOT firing that many live rounds from it, I'm NOT too worried.

Rumpshot wrote:It's just the cheap shellac you are using on the finished product. :lol: :lol:
To paraphrase Chris: don't make me force him to slap you.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

Why cases stick:

1. Rough chamber.
2. Hot loads.
3. Bad brass.

Black powder cases often fall right out of the cylinder, unless they get dirty, pressure is seldom a problem with black powder. Assuming your chambers are clean and not pitted or haven't been reamed out incorrectly (resulting in a larger diameter ahead of the rim area) you may have soft brass.

If you haven't already tried a different brand/lot of brass, do so. The brass you have may be soft and not springing back after firing.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Is it possible that the chambers are oversized? If the brass is stretched past the recovery point, it will cause difficult extraction. Just a guess, mind you.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rod

Post by Rod »

One gun was made in 1885 and was refinished long ago, the other was made in 1894 and has quite a bit of corrosion in the barrel and chambers. As I said, I don't plan on shooting either that much with live ammo, I'm not real concerned. Was thinking of shining the chambers and seeing what happens.