Reloading Evangelism: new convert

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
blackeagle603

Re: Reloading Evangelism: new convert

Post by blackeagle603 »

homebrew spraylube of liquid lanolin and 99% IPA.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I've been pulling the 147 grn FMJ out of some Portugese surplus and replacing it with a 168 grn Hornady Amax. While the hornady bullet is about $0.31 per, I do get to salvage the 147 for other uses.

When I finally get to the range, I'll let ya'll know how that worked out.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Steamforger wrote:I've been pulling the 147 grn FMJ out of some Portugese surplus and replacing it with a 168 grn Hornady Amax. While the hornady bullet is about $0.31 per, I do get to salvage the 147 for other uses.

When I finally get to the range, I'll let ya'll know how that worked out.
Son & Heir and I used to use Portugese as you are doing with 168 Sierras and weighed charges of the original propellant reduced by 1 grain weight; the stuff shot better groups at the 600 than the M118 Special Ball they issued to us. Berdan cases; we tried to pick 'em up out of good practice/courtesy but didn't sweat losing one or two to the grass snakes.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Vonz90 wrote: Amen to that. I've been using One Shot since I got back into reloading and it saves a ton of time vs the old way.
Are there any particular tricks to using One Shot? I tried it a couple times years ago, and it kept getting cases stuck in the die. Switched to the Dillon lube and have had nothing but good luck with it, but now I've got 95% of a spray can of One Shot left, with nothing to do with it.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
evan price

Post by evan price »

Aegis wrote:
Vonz90 wrote: Amen to that. I've been using One Shot since I got back into reloading and it saves a ton of time vs the old way.
Are there any particular tricks to using One Shot? I tried it a couple times years ago, and it kept getting cases stuck in the die. Switched to the Dillon lube and have had nothing but good luck with it, but now I've got 95% of a spray can of One Shot left, with nothing to do with it.
Shake well to distribute the oil. Spray the brass, then let it sit a bit to let the carrier evaporate.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

When Dillon came out with their lube years ago, I ordered some. It was like stepping into a whole new world... The grease pad was easily the thing I hated most about reloading. I still have both the Dillon lube and the One Shot, but I think I like the Hornady lube better. The only thing I don't like about it, is sometimes the spray nozzles plug up.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

I prefer the Lyman spray. My two cents.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Denis

Post by Denis »

I like imperial wax or Lee liquid alox, applied sparingly with the fingertips. I haven't had good results with the spray lubes. If I were to do a lot of handgun cases, I might give them another try.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

99% IPA + liquid lanolin in 4:1 ratio + cheap spray bottle from hardware store

$25 gets you a couple 16oz bottles of IPA and an 8oz bottle of lanolin from Amazon. That will yield a lifetime (or decade at least) supply of spray lube for the average reloader.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Aegis wrote:
They way I do it is to put the cases in a plastic grocery bag, spray, hold bag closed and shake, spray again, then shake again. I've never had a problem doing it that way. I'm doing rifle ammo around 20 to 60 rounds per batch depending.