The .300 Whisper - Your Perceptions & Comments?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
workinwifdakids

The .300 Whisper - Your Perceptions & Comments?

Post by workinwifdakids »

I heard from an acquantance that the .300 Whisper was... well, quiet! I looked at CotW, and didn't get a lot of useful information. I'm looking for something, say, between the .223 and .308. An upper for my AR that would fit that, and quiet? Well, that's just icing on the cake. I'm just putting out feelers to see what your thoughts are. TIA.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Whirlibird

Re: The .300 Whisper - Your Perceptions & Comments?

Post by Whirlibird »

.300 Whisper

The Whisper is a subjective round.
Kept in perspective it's a heck of a round.
Compared to a full power/sized cartridge it fails in some respects.

However if you want a .308" bullet in a standard AR, it's pretty much the only way to go.

I've played with it in both a bolt gun and an AR and I'm still considering it as my next AR, that is if I decide against the 6.8mm, can't quite decide yet.
It's a bit finicky going between sub-sonic and supersonic rounds, hence most weapons having an adjustable gas port/system to fine tune the gas pressures.

The noise level is entirely dependant on barrel length, the .300 Whisper (supersonic) out of a 26" barrel is surprisingly quiet compared to a .308 Win because of the barrel length eating up pressure and heat and reducing the blast effect. However out of a 16" AR barrel, it will ring your ears like any other round. The subsonics get weird (sound levels) when fired out of the long barrel.

Remember that when looking at Db's any reduction or increase in sound is logarithmic, in other words, a noise that is 20db louder is 100 times more intense, 30db is 1000 times more intense, etc.