BIT? .22 cal charges

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
ButchS1066

Re: BIT? .22 cal charges

Post by ButchS1066 »

Since Bill did the gruntwork, I'll do the fun part. :mrgreen:

Pic 1 is a Tangfolio E22B and an assortment of .22 blank loads for my Ramset tool. Powder actuated tool loads are given both a number and color code. Lvl1=Grey, Lvl2=Brown, Lvl3=Green, Lvl4=Yellow, Lvl5=Red, and Lvl6=Purple. I don't have any Grey or Green loads to test.
1.jpg
Pic 2 is the target, a 2" thick Priority Mail box full of packing peanuts. After taking the pic I added a piece of 3/4" plywood as a backstop. Testing was carried out with the muzzle about two feet from the box.
2.jpg
Pic 3 is the target after testing. The brown and yellow loads peppered the box with powder, no other effect. The red and purple loads aren't crimped like the others, they have a paper wad in the end like old shotgun shells. The wad from the red load disintergrated, leaving a dent and two ragged holes in the box. The wads from the purple loads cleanly penetrated the front of the box. Nothing penetrated the back of the box.
3.jpg
Non of the loads recoiled in the least, though the red and purple loads had a clearly visible muzzle flash. Noise wise, the brown load is about as loud as a party popper, the purple is about as loud as a firecracker.

Pic 4 is the spent cases. The yellow load split along one of the crimp lines.
4.jpg
Now you know. :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Very interesting. I would have expected a louder report, but otherwise pretty much what I expected.

I knew some of them were crimped like a blank cartridge. I did not know about the wads.

The split case is pretty much to be expected as it is unsupported.

Next question, are they corrosive?

Thanks, Rumpshot.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

I figure without anything solid to push against they don't build much pressure, hence the minimal report. Corrosive? With as infrequently as the typical Ramset/Hilti gun gets cleaned, I don't think so.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.