Random Thanks

This is the ONE and ONLY spot on this board where you can whine and bitch.
Netpackrat

Random Thanks

Post by Netpackrat »

I was just noticing again the complete lack of advertisements on this board, and I wanted to again thank Chris, CC, and the rest of you all who bring us this excellent place to gather and discuss. I used to participate in another gun related forum and I stopped because they made a policy that you could not post links to any companies unless they were a paid advertiser on the forum. It became less about helping your fellow enthusiasts and more about helping your fellow enthusiasts spend money with the site advertisers. In response to a question, I posted a link to a product for which there was no direct equivalent available anywhere, and the mods removed it because that company had not sent them any money. Some arguing ensued and I haven't posted a single thing there since. Also asked that they delete my account and they even refused to do that.

Lately I've been browsing their archives leeching info for my new project, and I've been taken aback by how much of the screen is taken up by ads. It's kind of nauseating after a while, and it really makes me appreciate what we have here. So thank you again for making this place happen. I know that there is a lot of hassle involved, so just know that it is appreciated.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Dub_James

Re: Random Thanks

Post by Dub_James »

+100
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I'm kind of ambivalent about ads. It's one thing to have an ad or two on each page to help support the forum financially. It's another when they're plastered every square inch, you can't say anything bad about them, no linking except for them, etc.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Well, as soon as you start taking ad money, there is a tendency of advertisers to feel entitled to dictate terms because they are the ones paying for the forum. Never mind that infrastructure is just infrastructure, and it is the quality of the participants that will ultimately make or break a place. I'm pretty sure Chris and CC wouldn't tolerate any of that foolishness, ads or not, but there are definitely plenty of examples out there of what happens when that attitude prevails. One forum I left actually had a rule against saying anything negative about ANY company, advertiser or not (it was just a coincidence that most of the complaints were about one of their big advertisers).
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

That's why it makes sense to have something like Project Wonderful or Google Adwords with a 3rd party. The downside is you have less control over what shows up - I know some forums have had issues with Malware showing up in the ads.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Guys, I guess we can end the discussion about bringing in all those pop-up ads...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your comments are much appreciated and it's some of the same reasons I like coming here so much. Besides, we have a breadth and depth of knowledge & experience available that rivals many "think tanks".

The membership is what keeps me coming back. I just love the company and camaraderie here.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Like I said, I have no problem with limited, discrete ads.

The problem is it rarely stays that way, or the advertiser forgets he is being provided with an audience, and not a company providing a forum.

Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Thanks for pointing that out. I have tended to overlook the fact that there are no ads.
In many other forums the ads are really annoying, especially if they open a pop-up window or are offensive and marginally NSFW.
Frequently I find myself dragging a window so the ads are off the right side of the screen so they're not apparent to anyone walking past my desk.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I would like to thank the mods as well, though due to my use of Firefox with ad blocker I would not see any ads even if we had them. I strongly encourage you guys who are having trouble with ads to get Firefox and the ad blocker add-on.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Now, of course, in typical TGC fashion, this thread inspires a desire to lobby for a garish amount of fake ads... "Homey G's Side-mounted Nite Sites", Supercalifragalistic Ultra-Mega Nano gun lube, Pistol training by a "Spetznatz Air Force Close-quarter Combat Sniper," Or, my personal favorite... which I've forgotten, but it involved a "Quantum Exothermic Endocrinologist" or some such - he was a rather ignorant "trainer" who posted rather unimpressive shirtless photos of himself on the Enos' forum.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto