The gunthing.com WTF?

This is the ONE and ONLY spot on this board where you can whine and bitch.
princewally

The gunthing.com WTF?

Post by princewally »

The gunthing forum is down, and the wiki came down with it? Did we get everything important?

ETA: And we're not allowed to post a link in the announcement about the gunthing. Are Kim and Connie trying to shatter the community they helped develop?
I support rehabilitation through reincarnation. -TechBrute

My Blog
Blog #2: LRN
MN carry permit training
RangerWT

Re: SeekHer's Lists

Post by RangerWT »

I'm not sure and I know Chris said to be respectful of Kim and Connie's wishes, but I kind've got the impression from what I read that they didn't want us to all move to a new place. It was like they wanted us to go our seperate ways.

Crap, how do I check spelling?
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
Rod

Post by Rod »

Let me say this right now! Don't speculate, don't make remarks. Kim and Connie gave much of themselves over the last few years and deserve our respect and thanks for putting up with us. The Gun thing is gone, the Gun Counter is here, get on with life and, as Sachel Paige said, "don't look back."

Sorry Chris and mods if I overstepped the bounds with that but I felt it had to be said.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Nothing lasts forever in the internet so moving on is moving on. But like many, the sudden end of it before the announced end date, and without explanation, does leave me at loss for understanding.
RangerWT

Post by RangerWT »

I'm sorry that I stated my opinion. I guess I was wrong for doing so and I will try to keep from doing so in the future. My intent was not to be disrepectful, I was simply stating the impression I was left with after reading the many posts on the subject. I have moved on, that's why I came here, I just didn't expect to get chewed out on my day here for stating my own opinion. Again, I am sorry.
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

princewally wrote:The gunthing forum is down, and the wiki came down with it? Did we get everything important?

ETA: And we're not allowed to post a link in the announcement about the gunthing. Are Kim and Connie trying to shatter the community they helped develop?
RangerWT wrote:I'm not sure and I know Chris said to be respectful of Kim and Connie's wishes, ...
I'm gonna inject my two cents here and see where it gets me. I think Kim & Connie always made clear that whatever was posted to their sites became their property. That was in the user agreement and in the rules. I think they saw some liability issues if it were otherwise, and I think they felt more comfortable with those liability issues if they had control over the content of their sites via ownership. My recollection is that Connie said that type of thing several times after the change (return?) in focus after the Civil War thread (that I missed :( ).

I think I read in some other thread here that many items were being copied quietly and "without drama" from the GunThing over to the Gun Counter. The quote above asks, "Did we get everything important?" Somewhere here, Chris apparently said we should be respectful of Kim and Connie's wishes.

It occurs to me to wonder, were we being respectful of their clearly stated wishes if we were migrating lots of material that they said should not be copied without explicit permission?

Chris stated in another thread that Connie was wrong in her interpretation of copyright with respect to a wiki. Be that as it may from a legal standpoint, were we not violating the spirit of the user agreement at the Gun Thing, which we specifically accepted, by copying? Aren't we honor-bound to comply with agreements we accept whether the law could punish a violation or not?

Is it possible that the violation of this agreement and their specific wishes precipitated the shutdown?

Edited to remove and excise repetitively redundant wording.
Last edited by Weetabix on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

RangerWT wrote:I'm not sure and I know Chris said to be respectful of Kim and Connie's wishes, but I kind've got the impression from what I read that they didn't want us to all move to a new place. It was like they wanted us to go our seperate ways.
At least one comment containing pointers to this forum was edited to remove the pointer. No speculation on my part. ;-)
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
RangerWT

Post by RangerWT »

CByrneIV wrote: We're all adults here
No need to be insulting.

You're right Chris, my bad. I just hate the way the whole situation with the gunthing went down. No more on this subject will be heard from me.
scipioafricanus

Re: The gunthing.com WTF?

Post by scipioafricanus »

In the end it is like our favorite sports teams, we love them and feel like they are ours. But in the end, the owner(s) can do what they want with it. (Being a Bears and Blackhawks fan, I know this all too well.)

So goes Gunthing, onto Gun Counter

SA
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
SeekHer

Re: The gunthing.com WTF?

Post by SeekHer »

Also cross-posted to Random in SeekHer's Lists...

Since I started this, so to speak, I'll finish it...

I had all of the postings I made to The Gun Thing on my hard drive in a Word or Excel sub folder…My system crashed and wiped out everything, my favourites, my photos and my submissions...

The most recent ones to the old forum I have on my system but some of the older ones I started copying back from The Gun Thing as it was easier to do it that way then re-create them in Word or Excel again...

As to copyright, I don't know but I was and am the original author of the work submitted and nowhere was an exclusive contract signed, by anybody. I've used some of those same lists over the years--from the time of Nation of Rifleman--on a couple of other sites I belong to and vice versa as well...

I am working on getting the balance of the Booklist and other postings re-created as fast as I can type and formulate them...

As Chris said, they are being posted to the threads first before going into the Wiki and that is progressing along as well...JohnOC and Randy are both working diligently on formatting the text for the Wiki as you’re reading this...

As to spell check, I just type everything in Word and copy it over and then format it with the necessary HTML tags for bold, italic etc...But one attached to the forum would be, granted, much more convenient...

Oh, and thanks...Knowledge is there to be shared not hoarded...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!