CCW...On You Or Just Near You?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
martini

Re: CCW...On You Or Just Near You?

Post by martini »

J-frame in the pocket or XD in IWB carry. J-frame is in my pocket as I write this just like every other day.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Jered

Post by Jered »

Aaron wrote:Yeah, we get a few anti-gunners, but they definitely in the minority.

And yes, it does piss me off that I can't carry on base. There's certainly nothing stopping the assholes from acting up with gun in hand*, all it does is disarm the rest of us.

*We had a pissed off E-4 trying to shoot his ex because she had the gall to dump him.
There's nothing stopping anyone from sneaking a gun onto Ft. Lewis other than the [strike]mall ninjas[/strike] security at the gates.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
martini

Post by martini »

Jered:
and the whole getting caught equals brig time, court martial and probably dishonorable discharge....
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Precision

Post by Precision »

Martini,

But that assumes you haven't already decided to do something really sideways, like off your ex.

As we all know, the everyday carry is not dangerous. It is the "with a purpose" illegal carry that usually goes sideways really quick and gets people dead.

Victim disarmament zones suck no matter where they are.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Usually if someone's made the decision to bring a loaded gun onto the base to shoot someone, they've already gone WAYYYYYYYY past the whole being "worried about breaking the law" thing.

Jered, do they hire security for the gates at Ft. Lewis instead of using MPs?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Last time I was at Ft. Lewis ('bout a month ago) it was a bit of both, but mostly civvies. There were a whole lot of signs and notices letting me know about the bad things that would happen if I had a gun on/with me, and then no one checked the me or the car.

Talk about your false security. Besides, if someone was really determined to misbehave, they could get a weapon on-base.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
martini

Post by martini »

Precision and 308Mike,
I agree that every day carry is not a problem, in fact I carry everyday and even right now. However, from what I understand, the mil doesn't make a distinction between a gun carried out of habit for self defense w/ no criminal purpose and one carried by a homicidal maniac intending to off his/her CO, wife, gay lover, kids, etc. (at least BEFORE the shooting starts) My understanding is that prior to shots fired either party would be equally screwed.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I carry a S&W 640 loaded with .38 special plus p hydroshocks on my belt in a purple cross draw holster. I know a lot of women go for an off the body/purse carry, but I feel that it is more responsible to carry on my belt. It all depends on your situation though.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Being a state worker in Illinois, I can't carry concealed.

So I carry ablative co-workers instead.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote:Being a state worker in Illinois, I can't carry concealed.

So I carry ablative co-workers instead.
Do they wear Red Shirts? :D
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".