Defensive Arms Training in SoCal

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
workinwifdakids

Defensive Arms Training in SoCal

Post by workinwifdakids »

Yesterday, I attended the Civilian Arms Trainingprogram at the Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino California. Before finding C.A.T.S., I had two assumptions about quality defensive firearms training: 1) you have to travel out-of-state; and 2) you have to spend a lot of money. After spending the day with the instructors there, I found neither was true.

I picked up a $30 voucher for the course at a Crossroads of the West gunshow in Costa Mesa, but the normal price for first-time students is $90. Even return students only pay $60, unless they pick up the half-price voucher at a show. The other costs are a $15 range fee from Prado, 250 rounds of ammunition for Level I, and an optional $6 lunch.

The instructors were all 100% volunteers, and are chosen from the student body after completing advanced courses. Many are graduates of nationally-known firearms training centers; the instructors just believe that every American ought to receive quality, affordable firearms training. There was a certified armorer, a licensed medical staff member, and a 1:7 instructor-student ratio not including the armorer and medic.

We opened the day in Level I Defensive Pistol with a safety briefing and orientation. Then, we went through the day with:
> the five-count draw
> deliberate fire from 3 to 25 yards
> scanning to break tunnel vision
> shooting from bent knee
> reloading drills
> immediate action drills
> tactical "duck" walk
> controlled pairs, accelerated pairs
> triple press
> barricade drill against multiple targets

All this culminated in an urban conflict drill which asked us to use all the skills we learned throughout the day. And... I didn't shoot the 'hostage'! We went back for a debrief and left a fulfilling and challenging day of instruction. If I paid $250 dollars, I wouldn't have expected more. I'll be back to take Level I again, as many students do - I just cannot wrap my mind around mag swaps!

On the plus side, Chris wrote up an in-depth look at the difference between controlled pairs and the infamous double-tap, which I never understood until I took this course. On the line, my hands up and weapon holstered, all I remember is him yelling "THREAT!" over the bullhorn, and then I was scanning for threats. When he orderd us to holster and cleared the line for taping targets, I saw I'd put two in the upper "A" and one right between the eyes, I couldn't help smiling. Talk about a moment of, "DID I DO THAT?!?" What a rush!
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
308Mike

Re: Defensive Arms Training in SoCal

Post by 308Mike »

OUTSTANDING!!!

This is the kind of advertising they need and appreciate. In today's market, people are looking to total VALUE, and it certainly looks like that's what you got. I'm glad you got your eyes opened and realize just how fast things CAN happen and how you train is how you react.

That's a KEY to SURVIVAL!!!

Dude - get AS MUCH training of this kind as you can - it'll give you a great base to build upon if you didn't already have one. If possible, make your feelings and observations know to your local NRA Members Council in case they get requests for references to training classes and the NRA can't accommodate them in the time frame they request (which frequently happens).

GREAT training, GREAT price and a OUTSTANDING VALUE, what's not to like????
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Looking at the schedules ...... I'm getting so tired of the word tactical. WTF does it mean anyway?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Double Tap

Post by Double Tap »

I attended the same class with "Workin" and my two sons. Outstanding instruction from people who have an obvious passion for our sport. At the end of the day during the de-brief, the staff took the time to explain the importance of NRA membership to the first time gun owners in the class. Then, they offered NRA membership vouchers to these new folks. A well done goes out to Tim and the instructor corps at C.A.T.S.
By the way "Workin", great job on that 'hostage'. It turns out that mine was a collaborator, and took one for his team.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

"Tactical" means more money for something that would cost less money if it didn't have the name "tactical" attached to it. Get it? :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

FelixEstrella wrote:Looking at the schedules ...... I'm getting so tired of the word tactical. WTF does it mean anyway?
What do you learn in such a class, if not tactics?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Double Tap wrote:By the way "Workin", great job on that 'hostage'. It turns out that mine was a collaborator, and took one for his team.
LOL!! I suppose that's ONE way to put it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

FelixEstrella wrote:Looking at the schedules ...... I'm getting so tired of the word tactical. WTF does it mean anyway?
(adj) tactical (of or pertaining to tactic or tactics) "a tactical error"
(n) tactic, tactics, maneuver, manoeuvre (a plan for attaining a particular goal)
(n) tactics (the branch of military science dealing with detailed maneuvers to achieve objectives set by strategy)
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.