Well, *that* was stupid

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
workinwifdakids

Well, *that* was stupid

Post by workinwifdakids »

I scourge myself for the public good, so be kind.

My friend and I were shooting at a static target and decided to introduce some simple movement: moving toward a single target with one mag swap. It was nothing useful outside of getting used to moving while shooting accurately. Anyway...

Afterward, I was searching like nuts for my mag. Finally I found it - in my mag pouch.
:shock:

I was totally going on instinct, and don't remember doing it. It must've taken me time to put it there, and I hate to think what would've happened had I been shooting 'for real.' Yikes.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
First Shirt

Re: Well, *that* was stupid

Post by First Shirt »

I wouldn't say "stupid", it's just a habit that has to be unlearned. And it takes a little getting used to, dropping expensive mags on the ground to be bounced around and stepped on.

The late Bill Jordan used to tell the story of a Border Patrol agent who got into a protracted shooting difficulty one night with a bunch of bootleggers. When it was all over, the agent discovered that he'd been putting his empty cases in his pants pocket, just like he did at the practice range.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:The late Bill Jordan used to tell the story of a Border Patrol agent who got into a protracted shooting difficulty one night with a bunch of bootleggers. When it was all over, the agent discovered that he'd been putting his empty cases in his pants pocket, just like he did at the practice range.
There's a LOT more of that, particularly among law enforcement.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Well, if you've got to commit firearms related stupidity, that's the preferred way to do it. :lol: I was worriedly expecting this to be about a ND when I saw the title & the blushing icon.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

308Mike wrote:
First Shirt wrote:The late Bill Jordan used to tell the story of a Border Patrol agent who got into a protracted shooting difficulty one night with a bunch of bootleggers. When it was all over, the agent discovered that he'd been putting his empty cases in his pants pocket, just like he did at the practice range.
There's a LOT more of that, particularly among law enforcement.
Read that one as well , it made a distinct impression.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I practice dumping mags, I want to fight like I train.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
sam

Post by sam »

CombatController wrote:I practice dumping mags, I want to fight like I train.
What CC said. Fight as you train, train as you fight.

Some call it "muscle memory." It's not. Muscles don't have memories, per se. It is actually conditioned reflex. I think this was discussed on a previous forum.

But, MM is cooler to say. So, you have that going for you. </Groundskeeper Karl>
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Speaking of fighting like you train....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.