What is your number one ,two,three etc carry peices ?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Weetabix

Re: What is your number one ,two,three etc carry peices ?

Post by Weetabix »

1. Keltec PF-9
2. Taurus P738 (a .380 mousegun)
3. Makarov

I'm not sure what my preferred pieces would be. These are what I have available.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Mostly I carry a J-Frame. S&W 360 in .38

Occasionally I'll strap on the 1911, but not often. In the woods it's the 4" 686. I have successfully carried that concealed in winter, but it's not very comfortable.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Since this was originally asked I have overcome my fear of printing and have moved almost exclusively to a glock-22 in a serpa II with a cover shirt.

At my previous job, that switched to a P3AT in my back pocket prior to entering work. 7 months, 3 people bumping it aggressively and NO ONE ever noticed.

Sometimes I carry both.

Sometimes I IWB either the Glock 22 or a PF-9.

My car has a marlin 336 30-30 in the trunk.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 10mm or other heavier hitter for my CCW piece and may be looking for a beater AR to take the place of the Marlin in the trunk. Of course that will require me to rectify the current lack of job status.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

Kimber Ultra Carry II with upgraded tritium sights whenever I can.

S&W Bodyguard .380 when something more discreet is required.

I went and felt up one of the new XdS Springfields, and hate the feel of the grip, which is a shame.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

g-man wrote:I went and felt up one of the new XdS Springfields, and hate the feel of the grip, which is a shame.
Try a S&W M&P Shield. It's thinner than the XDS. Maybe it will work better.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Funny, I thought I responded. Must have been to another similarly worded poll.

Anyway:
1. P3AT - 90% of the time
2. P7PSP - 9% of the time
3. 1911 - 1% of the time

P3AT is EDC. I keep it in a pocket holster. I've even carried it with formal wear. It's very light, so no drag and small enough not to print. Spare magazine in weakside pocket.

P7PSP is usually in a lockbox in the car. If I feel the situation warrants it, it comes out into an IWB behind-the-hip holster. I prefer the PSP because no button to accidentally dump the magazine. Spare magazine in weakside pocket.

1911 is my barbecue gun. It's engraved with ivory grips with a leather OWB holster. For those situations where the gun is more for show, like when I'm invited to someone's ranch in Texas or Arizona. Ironically, where I feel the least need to have a sidearm, sidearms are treated like men's jewelry.

For places where I'm not one of the "authorized citizen" class, e.g. NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco or Washington, DC, I carry a few of these: http://www.staples.com/Zebra-F-701-Retr ... uct_710693
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
TabascoKid

Post by TabascoKid »

Taurus 738
Makarov
S&W Sigma 9mm

Used to use my Makarov as primary carry until I held a Taurus 738. Now the 738 is my primary in a Sticky pocket holster. Barely feel it's there, even when I sit down. I tried the Garrison grip extender but didn't like it. It did make it a bit more filling in my hand, but ruined the feel in the pocket.

Some of my dress pants have that little extra pocket inside the right front pocket. Found the 738 slides in there nice as you please and the little pocket usually covers the trigger.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:1. Keltec PF-9
2. Taurus P738 (a .380 mousegun)
3. Makarov

I'm not sure what my preferred pieces would be. These are what I have available.
So how do you like the 738? I've been thinking about one as a summer carry piece for when I want something smaller than the Ruger LC9.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Vonz90 wrote:So how do you like the 738? I've been thinking about one as a summer carry piece for when I want something smaller than the Ruger LC9.
It's fine. It's one of the only very small guns that felt comfortable enough to use. I have just regular sized hands. My pinky still hangs off, but this one doesn't bother me as much. It fits in small spaces when I can't easily go out untucked. I actually bought it with one of my daughters in mind, but they don't carry yet, so they like the bigger pistols for shooting for fun.

I'll try to remember to take it to the range tomorrow and refresh my memory on shooting and accuracy.