Thoughts On Kojack Carry?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

Thoughts On Kojack Carry?

Post by skb12172 »

Or other non-standard forms of CCW carry that do not involve a standard holster, etc. I see advantages and disadvantages.

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
First Shirt

Re: Thoughts On Kojack Carry?

Post by First Shirt »

Main disadvantage that I can see, based on what a number of LEOs have told me, is that if they see someone carrying in a holster, they tend to automatically assume that the individual is a good guy. Some type of "stuck in the pants any which way" carry sets off the alarms.

I've used a piece of 550 cord to make an improvised Yaqui slide holster for a 1911, but I really prefer a real holster, both from a security standpoint, and to "advertise" that I'm not some wild-eyed redneck, but a serious CCW holder.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Define "Kojack Carry" please?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Kojak was a bit before my time, but Google seems to reveal that he carried a snub revolver in his pocket. Having done so both holsterless and with a pocket holster, I highly recommend the latter method.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Kojack carried his snubbie revolver in his suitcoat pocket. It's a catchphrase for non-belt holster, non ankle-holster alternative ways of carrying. Yeah, a lot of bad guys do it, but it is easier to deep conceal.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Post by randy »

OK, thanks. IIRC the show was on one of the 2 networks I couldn't get where I lived growing up. There were so many cop shows at the time they all blend together.

I only pocket carry with a pocket holster. Have nice Ted Blocker one for my J frame.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Kojak. ;)

I'd want a pocket holster.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

It's a good plan if you expect to need to ditch the weapon at some point.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I guess it is. Does anybody see an advantage if you don't plan to ditch your weapon?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Pocket holsters are relatively ditchable, as well.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop