Firearms Myths

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
D5CAV

Firearms Myths

Post by D5CAV »

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/4 ... t_07302016
MYTH 1. You can’t shoot accurately with a (fill in the blank) pistol.
MYTH 2. It’s better to practice spreading your shots rather than shooting 1 hole groups.
MYTH 3. All fine motor skills will fail under extreme stress.
MYTH 4. You fall down and stop fighting or die when you get shot.
Some I've heard before and some I haven't. I never heard "spray and pray" as a legitimate tactical drill (Myth 2).

However, I've had firearms instructors insist on training with weak hand, including one handed loading and clearing drills: "you've been shot in your strong-arm. Are you just going to give up and die?!" (counter to Myth 4).
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MarkD

Re: Firearms Myths

Post by MarkD »

I've always seen myth 2 as "If you're making small groups you could, and should, shoot faster", I've never seen it as intentionally shooting bigger groups.

Which makes sense in a defensive situation, two shots a half-inch apart doesn't do anything for you defensively that two shots two inches apart won't do, but two shots in two seconds is probably better than two in five.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I've heard the BS about not shooting small groups - usually from "instructors" who'd have to up their game to get a "D" rating in USAPSA

Fine motor skills degrading under stress is physiological - well documented in sports now, there are folks who can learn to control when they feel stressed
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I was thinking about #2 just last week while at the range, justifying the group sizes I was shooting. Better to give 'em a bunch of holes to leak out of, rather than just one. :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo