Rifle vs. Shotgun: Tactics lesson

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
D5CAV

Rifle vs. Shotgun: Tactics lesson

Post by D5CAV »

I have debated many acquaintances, including some on this board, as to the relative merits of shotgun vs. rifle.

Here is a tactical lesson on rifle vs. shotgun: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dress.html

Let's forget that both parties engaged in "friendly fire". It could just as easily have been the other way. It could really have been bad guys trying to get into the old man's house.

Shotgun is not an effective stopper; rifle is. If you are not sure enough of your target to hit it, hold your fire until you are. Then remember "BRASS" and don't miss.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
First Shirt

Re: Rifle vs. Shotgun: Tactics lesson

Post by First Shirt »

Shotgun is an effective stopper with the right loads, and when used correctly. If you're going to stoke it with #8 birdshot, don't expect much from it.

Loaded with #4 buckshot, and not trying to shoot through a closed door, is a kettle of fish of another color.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

D5CAV wrote:
Shotgun is not an effective stopper; rifle is.

Bullshit. Let's look at the round(s) fired from the shotgun before we jump to that hasty decision. #7 through a glass door = fail. Buck or slug are a completely different story. A 1 oz slug can take down a grizzly...I'd hardly call that ineffective.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

rightisright wrote:A 1 oz slug can take down a grizzly...I'd hardly call that ineffective.
At least one friend of mine used one to do just that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Is it time for someone to trot out:

You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

Pffft.
You load a shotgun with birdshot and act surprised it doesn't do much.
Anybody want to stand here and say a 12-gauge with buckshot or slugs won't drop a buck deer in his tracks at 30yds? And you need to deer hunt with an AR because the shotgun has no stopping power?
Home defense shootings will happen in tens of feet at the most. If it's hundreds of feet it's no longer a home defense shooting.
I've personally expended many rounds against various targets such as car bodies. At 20 feet, birdshot scoured the paint off the panel and left a wide dent. 00 buck left a fist sized hole in a car door and destroyed the seat... The slug punched through both sides of the car.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

You assume only LEOs will have body armor?

That might be a fatal assumption.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote:You assume only LEOs will have body armor?

That might be a fatal assumption.
I can play the what if game too. You assume the bad guys won't be wearing plates capable of stopping your rifle rounds? Dunno about you, but if I have to go for a head shot on a moving target, I would sure rather be using my cylinder bore SBS loaded with buckshot than a rifle.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

evan price wrote:Pffft.
You load a shotgun with birdshot and act surprised it doesn't do much.
We haven't even't gotten into "cut shells" yet. And yeah, it's a thing, a redneck/cajun thing that I used to use when I was an economically challenged yoot. It turns birdshot into a slug out to about 50 yards, and when it hits, it acts like a frangible because it is.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I keep my HD shotgun loaded with Winchester PDX.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD