Safe Rooms?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
D5CAV

Safe Rooms?

Post by D5CAV »

I have some friends that might be considered "one percenters". A few of them have "safe rooms" built into their 10,000 SF homes.

http://www.allselfsustained.com/prepari ... il-unrest/

They have proudly shown them to me. They give me the creeps.

This is from a guy who spent a good part of his life in a moving "safe room" with a 105mm rifle and a 1500hp engine. Even in my mobile "safe room" I appreciated having scouts to screen for BGs with RPGs and Molotov cocktails. The latter could ruin my day even more than the former. At least in my mobile "Safe room" I could always grab the shoulder harness of my gunner and hustle out my hatch if things got really bad.

Stuck in a "safe room" in the middle of a house hoping my 911 call will be answered by po-po before the BGs burn the house down around me? NFW

As an old sergeant told me when I was a pup, "Make it too hard for the enemy to get in, and you can't get out."

I'd rather die on my feet than get cooked like a rat in my own cage.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
randy

Re: Safe Rooms?

Post by randy »

I've always wanted a safe room as in a room sized gun safe/tornado shelter. Not as an in an Alamo redoubt.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

randy wrote:I've always wanted a safe room as in a room sized gun safe/tornado shelter. Not as an in an Alamo redoubt.
Something like the rec room in the movie Tremors would be appropriate.

8-)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
BDK

Post by BDK »

Lots of Russians have hides - the big dollar ones tend to have secret tunnels and exits - and walls that can withstand artillery.

I get the idea of defensible positions. A safe room which doubles as a vault, may make more financial sense, as the vault will be used.

I suppose I could see it in an urban/suburban area. Places where the response time is in hours/days, though, and I think it is foolish

If they are at a level with a serious enough security team, I get it. The last thing, I would think, a real team would want to deal with is having them run around, getting in the way, and wandering out of pocket, while the police arrive.

I think it depends on what level of threat they anticipate.

One of my friends was from a very wealthy family, and lived his entire youth inside a perimeter of armed guards, unless off in the wilderness with us - as, before cell phones and tracking devices, etc, they figured the odds of anyone finding us were slight, and even worse at attacking some ranchers in the middle of nowhere, down roads which weren't on maps, and making it back out
BDK

Post by BDK »

All people are free and slaves in different ways. He can hop on one of his jets and go anywhere in the world - and almost anyone will talk to him - but he can't go to a grocery store without armed guards
randy

Post by randy »

D5CAV wrote: This is from a guy who spent a good part of his life in a moving "safe room" with a 105mm rifle and a 1500hp engine.
a-rollin-foxhole.jpg
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

Central Louisiana gets the occasional tornado; nothing like "Tornado Alley", but enough that a "safe" room big enough to hold guns/ammo/valuables plus a 1/2 dozen people sitting on the floor has some appeal.

Maybe some day.......... :?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have designed a mock up of my dream home. The basement has a "safe room" directly under the master bedroom. The safe room has a bathroom, two VERY small bedrooms, one for dual occupany and one bunk style for up to 4 that converts to a dining area. It also has NBC air filtration, a storage room, a weapons locker, self composting toilet, well water tap with filtration and an area to stretch out a bit. There is also an escape tunnel secured with a bunker door.

Without looking at the plans, I would guess about 450 sq feet and 10 ft ceiling. Primary entrance is also hidden and hardened.

The goal is that it doesn't look like it exists and is quite hardened, but he point is to shelter in place as a last resort and not go stir crazy.

The master, which is above the safe room is fairly safe too.

Not that I am likely to have the money to do such a thing, ever but I like designing things.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/