Purpose Built Rifles for SHTF aka Help Me Spend My Money

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Durham68

Purpose Built Rifles for SHTF aka Help Me Spend My Money

Post by Durham68 »

When preparing to attend an Appleseed shoot recently, it became clear that none of the rifles I own were set up for the event. Each was missing at least one important item (sling points, decent iron sights, spare mags, not sighted in). That realization got me looking more seriously at my collection in terms of how useful they might be if they were ever needed for more than range time or trade fodder.

Since then I set up a .22 and a couple 16" ARs with the basics (mags, ammo, sling, optic, BUIS) and plan to leave them as they are. That leaves me with a couple more 16" ARs, also in 5.56, that could be sold/traded/reconfigured to serve another role. I was thinking something genuinely quiet and something fairly large/powerful could be useful if things ever went south. The first items that came to mind were a suppressed bolt action rifle and a .50 BMG of some kind (maybe an AR upper).

What do you guys think?

Budget is $4000 if I sold the 2 aforementioned ARs.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
JustinR

Re: Purpose Built Rifles for SHTF aka Help Me Spend My Money

Post by JustinR »

I've also been in a similar mindset recently, focusing on accessories like lights and slings for each gun, so that in a bugout situation several weapons would be immediately ready. I've also been trying to consolidate supplies in hard-sided carry boxes (ammo cans and such) so they are also grab-and-go.

I like the ideas of AR uppers from the standpoint of weight and size. I'm going to build a 5.56 upper eventually for ammo compatibility. My 300 BLK upper is quiet enough with subsonics that I personally couldn't justify buying a bolt action Blackout gun. I can shoot it without earpro with my friend's 3 year old sitting on her dad's lap two feet behind me and she isn't even phased by it.

A .50 BMG upper would be fun. As long as you are carrying the ammo in your vehicle, and not hiking.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Absolutely a good idea. Most of my modern rifles are ready and able to defend myself and my family should the need arise. If I had enough disposable funds, I would make all of them ready ASAP. I'm just lacking a sling swivel or two, and some weapon mounted lights. All primary rifles are BZO'd, and even some of the secondary ones are as well. I think that I've got two more that need to be touched up, but are both well down the list of ones that I'd grab.

I like a minimum of 6 mags per, with 10 an intermediate goal, and 20 a long term goal. Mags are semi-disposable.

Are the ARs that you're planning to sell quality ones? If so, it might be worth keeping them. If they're cheap, you probably won't get the amount of money you think that you will right now. Cheap ARs are going for about $400.

If you have a spare grand or two lying around, file a Form 1 or more, and make some SBRs. Super handy to have around. Ditto for suppressors. Do it now, get your bolt gun later. A .308 suppressor will be a very valuable commodity if the SHTF.

I think that the .50 is unnecessary. You won't shoot it much, if at all, and ammo prices are a killer. If you're looking to stop a rampaging dump truck when SHTF, it's easier to do that with some concrete barriers and a ditch than a .50. If you want to reach out and touch someone, a .260 Remington or similar can do it at nearly the same range, while still being a multi-purpose rifle for food-gathering purposes. A .308 would be fine as well, and ammo is super common.

My next planned gun purchase will be a quality AR-10, unless another purchase sneaks up on me unexpectedly. After that, a pair of NVGs.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

JAG2955 wrote: Are the ARs that you're planning to sell quality ones? If so, it might be worth keeping them.
They are pre-ban lowers with BCM KMR uppers. Worth less than $1k each anywhere else in the US. Worth anywhere from $1500 to $2000 each here in CT since he new laws passed in 2013.
If you have a spare grand or two lying around, file a Form 1 or more, and make some SBRs. Super handy to have around. Ditto for suppressors. Do it now, get your bolt gun later. A .308 suppressor will be a very valuable commodity if the SHTF.
I had the trust put together but haven't gotten around to a suppressor yet. I figured that would have to be part of whatever "quiet" option I settled on. The SBRing thing is doable here but has to be done on a preban lower from a manufacturer that can still provide a letter to verify the date of manufacture. So in addition to the tax stamp, we end up paying a premium of $500 to $1000 for the eligible lower. Not high on my list when I think about what else I could do with the money.
I think that the .50 is unnecessary. You won't shoot it much, if at all, and ammo prices are a killer. If you're looking to stop a rampaging dump truck when SHTF, it's easier to do that with some concrete barriers and a ditch than a .50.
This seems to be the consensus wherever I look.
My next planned gun purchase will be a quality AR-10, unless another purchase sneaks up on me unexpectedly. After that, a pair of NVGs.
The AR10 is on my wish list but since it needs to be pre 94, the prices start around $3k.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Can you guys do AR pistols?

Are there any reliable, modern semi-auto rifles that were missed on the AWBs? Could you get away with anything kind of weird, like a Daewoo K2, AUG, or similar?

ETA: Did a quick read-through.

Wow. They've got you guys boned pretty well.

Me, I'd get a storage unit in another state and fill her up. I'd also have some 80% lowers and the equipment to finish them ready to go. Failing that, something like the Ruger RPR, which can take detachable mags (is that allowed?), and gets great reviews.
BDK

Post by BDK »

4K for rifle and glass or just rifle? If for just the rifle, I would suggest a good 308 or 300 Win bolt action.

The 300 Win is pretty well available in every gun shop in the world.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

BDK wrote:4K for rifle and glass or just rifle? If for just the rifle, I would suggest a good 308 or 300 Win bolt action.

The 300 Win is pretty well available in every gun shop in the world.
Whoa! 4K for just the rifle? You don't mess around.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Properly set up, a 300 Winmag is a 1200 yd anti-goblin rifle(if the shooter does his part), and that's over 1/2 mile. I can't imagine needing more than that for a SHTF long range precision rifle.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I've considered a precision set up but I don't think there is a 400yd line of sight in my town off of a main road. Always seemed hard to justify the expense without a place to make use of it. Maybe it is short sighted to think I only need to prep for right here.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

A few K98 clones (Yugo and Czech clones sell for a fraction of a K98 with a swastika) and several cases of 8x57mm ammo.

Buy a couple of cases of corrosive crap surplus Yugo or Turkish 8x57mm ammo for practice and stripper clips.

After you've shot up the crap ammo (and practiced your hang fire drills), you can load your new ammo onto the stripper clips.

K98s are designed for sustained heavy firing. I've gotten mine hot enough that the top handguard was smoking and I needed gloves, but it never choked.

With a pocket full of stripper clips as my tactical load, I've sometimes won beers from the guys with ARs and tacticool vests.

If you find any WW2 vets still alive, they all have a healthy respect for the K98 after getting "assaulted" with a K98.

And don't forget the bayonets. It's not a proper "assault rifle" if it doesn't have a bayonet.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe