Arguments

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
AndytheAxe

Arguments

Post by AndytheAxe »

Hey all, I've started dating a girl who's relatively liberal but open to guns and understands about self defense. I've taken her shooting and she enjoyed herself. We were talking last night about Obama's executive order and she said "no one needs a semi automatic". I told her semi automatic weapons are much more effective for self defense, but I'm not sure it was convincing. Do you all know any other arguments I can use?
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Weetabix

Re: Arguments

Post by Weetabix »

There are lots of things no one "needs" but that doesn't justify banning them.

No one "needs" a new iPhone. The old flip phones made calls just fine. Lots of people are injured using smart phones and not paying attention.

In bigger cities, no one "needs" a car. Public transportation and taxis are just fine. Cars kill more people than guns.

No one "needs" fast food. Heart disease kills more people than guns.

But I'm not comfortable banning things that no one "needs" just because I don't think they need it. That just justifies other people banning things I think I "need" just because they don't think I need it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

+1 on the above.

No one needs translates to no one should be permitted to own.

Fuck that. Sideways with a chainsaw.

I don't own a semi auto pistol. I live and work in places where concealed carry is verboten. My home defense needs are covered in other ways. I don't need a semi auto so I didn't buy one. My choice, my money. Now if I WANTED one I'd be annoyed with anyone who told me I couldn't have one.

So if she's liberal, she probably believes she should be able to get an abortion. (Which few people need) or smoke pot (ditto). Or whatever her pet cause is. Does she like being told she can't do those things? Then who made her the abiter of what other people need?
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

We are not a society founded upon "needs." She does "need" to read up on some Locke though.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Steamforger wrote:We are not a society founded upon "needs." She does "need" to read up on some Locke though.
Yeah, and the Federalist papers wouldn't hurt her a bit either.

There are a whole lot of things that "no one needs" but that are basically universal in our society.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Give her a .44mag and ask her to manipulate it, then hand her an S&W Shield, ask her which is easier for a woman to use.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Andy, you're a braver man than I am! I decided, long ago, that trying to reason with a liberal is like trying to teach a pig to whistle; it wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Good luck, we're all rooting for you, but I ain't holding my breath.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I've done the same in the past. She has humored me for awhile. All because we were having sex. Then, I realized with 3 Billion women on the planet, I could find one that didn't need to be constantly convinced. Or maybe I just got older and lazy. Whatever. I wish you luck.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Ask her if one needs a revolver. Then point out that a semi-automatic is simply another variety of repeating firearm.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

does she even know what "semi-automatic" means?
I suggest a slightly condescending atitude towards her as she opines about something she really doesn't know about, a "thats so cute you're starting to think about guns and try to form opinions. Maybe later I'll let you shoot one of my little girly guns."
"Islam delenda est" Aesop