Arguments

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Denis

Re: Arguments

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:Ah for the good old days, when a 10 year old could mail order a WW2 surplus Mauser 1898 and 1911 from his chore money..
The good old days, when 10-year-olds still did chores.

Wait.

Kids in the US get money for doing chores?

Truly it is the promised land and the streets are paved with gold...
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:Ah for the good old days, when a 10 year old could mail order a WW2 surplus Mauser 1898 and 1911 from his chore money..

Wait.

Some of the richer families used to, before the dark times, before liberalism. Now teaching a child how to manage money is all but a crime, and requiring them to do any kind of chore is considered abuse.
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:
Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:Google solothurn ad and then check the images.
It is to weep...
Ah for the good old days, when a 10 year old could mail order a WW2 surplus Mauser 1898 and 1911 from his chore money..
I just read a great post about that on Paw Paw's blog, including the original advertising for my Ruger Mark I:

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.be/2016/01/freedom.html
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

The best way to build shooters is one person at a time. Everybody has their "first time" wnen they twitch the trigger and something comes out the other end of the gun. It's our responsibility to make that a pleasant, safe, fun experience. The more they enjoy it, the more they'll want to experience it again.

I talk about that this morning at my blog.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... ey_17.html
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

kapikui wrote: Now teaching a child how to manage money is all but a crime, and requiring them to do any kind of chore is considered abuse.

:jacked:

Yeah, even among fellow home-schoolers, money management is missing from the curriculum. I like Ron Blue's Master Your Money.

My four oldest children have chores. When they complain about them I tell them to read "Farmer Boy" again and then they can tell me how "hard" their life is.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

John_in_Longview wrote:
kapikui wrote: Now teaching a child how to manage money is all but a crime, and requiring them to do any kind of chore is considered abuse.

Yeah, even among fellow home-schoolers, money management is missing from the curriculum. I like Ron Blue's Master Your Money.

My four oldest children have chores. When they complain about them I tell them to read "Farmer Boy" again and then they can tell me how "hard" their life is.
I really like Father's explanation of money in the book.

"It's work, son."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

JAG2955 wrote:
John_in_Longview wrote:

"It's work, son."
Actually, the idea that money is a representation of labor has a very vile background which drives you down a very bad path if you follow that road. That was Karl Marx's take on monetary theory and if you trace out a lot of his weird ideas (and other weird ideas that follow with those who tried to implement his theories) it can be traced back to that error.

It is actually rather complex concept either way, but the probably the best way to think of it is as a good (in the noun sense, like "goods and services") which is why its value goes up and down depending on the quantity available relative to the demand.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Denis wrote:

Wait.

Um, you would be surprised.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Vonz90 wrote:Actually, the idea that money is a representation of labor has a very vile background which drives you down a very bad path if you follow that road. That was Karl Marx's take on monetary theory and if you trace out a lot of his weird ideas (and other weird ideas that follow with those who tried to implement his theories) it can be traced back to that error.

It is actually rather complex concept either way, but the probably the best way to think of it is as a good (in the noun sense, like "goods and services") which is why its value goes up and down depending on the quantity available relative to the demand.
That might make an interesting thread. I'd always considered it as a way to store the product of work/time/knowledge for exchange later.

The theory of money is interesting, complex, and ofttimes confusing.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Vonz90 wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:
John_in_Longview wrote:

"It's work, son."
Actually, the idea that money is a representation of labor has a very vile background which drives you down a very bad path if you follow that road. That was Karl Marx's take on monetary theory and if you trace out a lot of his weird ideas (and other weird ideas that follow with those who tried to implement his theories) it can be traced back to that error.

Well, I shortened it, and rather took it out of context.

If you haven't read it, they're at a town fair/gathering/holiday or whatever. Almanzo's dick cousin is showing off some of the stuff that he has, like a winter cap and jack knife. So Almanzo asks his father for a nickel or quarter or something for some food or to buy something. Been a long time since I read it, and it's somewhere on a double-stacked bookshelf. Instead of giving a nickel to his son, he gives him a lecture on earning money. Then he tells him that he can spend it on candy, or he can buy a suckling pig to raise and sell for more money.

Besides, it's a children's book.