Arguments

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
JKosprey

Re: Arguments

Post by JKosprey »

I'm going to go against the grain here....I think you've got the right approach Andy. As long as she's not vehemently anti-gun to the the point where you can't have a conversation on the subject, there's a good shot at things working out.

I'm probably a bit to the left of most people here, but certainly not a liberal in the true sense of the word. My fiance is, on many issues. Thing is, we can have rational discussions about issues, even where we differ. In fact, I enjoy it. She's not anti-gun, but she's not a shooter (although I have gotten her shooting, and she has expressed some interest in doing it again). I was very upfront when we started dating that I was a "gun guy" and that wasn't going to change. It's never proved to be a major issue, and now we're getting married in a few more months.

I do expect that when the kids come along, safe storage will become an issue, but hopefully by then I'll be able to afford more than the sheet-metal gun locker I've got now. Right now it's just me, her, the cats, and the hawks, so I don't really worry about a gun in a drawer.
randy

Post by randy »

JKosprey wrote:I do expect that when the kids come along, safe storage will become an issue, but hopefully by then I'll be able to afford more than the sheet-metal gun locker I've got now.
From my experience (mine and observing other folks kids), by the time kids are old enough where that is not sufficient to keep your guns out of little hands, then they should have been trained/educated to a point where it is a not an issue. Or you've got real problems of another type.

A simple way of approaching it is Ayoob's book Gun Proof Your Child. It formed part of the same discussion with CINCHOUSE while we were engaged and in raising Darlin' Daughter.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Denis

Post by Denis »

JKosprey wrote:I do expect that when the kids come along, safe storage will become an issue...
When the time comes...

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/tit ... -children/
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aha. Great minds and fools...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:...show her the infamous Solothurn ad. :twisted:
Do tell?
Google solothurn ad and then check the images.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:Google solothurn ad and then check the images.
It is to weep...
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

For your debate, here's an example of "gun control" in action:

http://www.wnd.com/2016/01/world-refuse ... t-attacks/

So two muslim men enter a nightclub (presumably to re-enact Paris), and start shooting.

Two unarmed bouncers (the nightclub is a "gun free zone") jump them and stop the incident after one patron is shot.

Epic fail on gun laws:
1. Bad guys bring guns into "gun free zone"
2. Good guys have to engage armed bad guys with "empty hand" techniques.
3. Bad buys somehow managed to get handguns in Canada, which has gun laws that BHO and the Hildabeest can only dream of.

Oh yeah, and for extra Political Correctness points, the two perps, Mohamad Elmi and Mohamad Salad, aren't Muslim terrorists, but merely perpetrators of a random crime (robbery? drug hit?). The news weasels won't go into the perps immigration history, presumably for fear of "reprisals."

So BHO wants to have more checks on legal US citizens to get guns, but wants to have more Muslim immigrants without any background checks?

You should have your liberal (soon to be ex-) girlfriend explain the logic in that last one to you.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I think you guys are getting too heavy on the "soon to be ex" thing. From what Andy's said, it sounds like she has potential.

I think gently getting her to question first premises is a better route. She may be able to be lead to think or not, but it's a charitable action to at least give her the chance.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The Boss was once a blue-collar Democrat; union member, the works.

When we got married, we bought a house in rural western Iowa, and one day she figured out that the county sheriff had 12 deputies to cover the whole county, 24/7/365. When she heard coyotes howling on the hill above the house, she paused to reflect on her previous aversion to firearms.

That was 25 years ago. Now, she has her own collection of .357s, a trio of shotguns, two scoped, bolt action, rifles, and a Charter Arms Off-Duty .38 in her purse right now.

They might fight it, but they can be taught.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:Google solothurn ad and then check the images.
It is to weep...
Ah for the good old days, when a 10 year old could mail order a WW2 surplus Mauser 1898 and 1911 from his chore money..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt