11 YO defends home

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Weetabix

Re: 11 YO defends home

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Because we have a number of folks aggressively enthusiastic about self-defense here, and teenagers in bad neighborhoods being found shot dead inside houses that aren't theirs pretty strongly tickle the 'good self-defense shoot' reflex.
I'm aggressively enthusiastic about self defense. It just wasn't clear from the article that that is what it was. If so, "Yay!" If not, "Ugh."
And also because we're all pretty damned tired of the media and political types portraying any example of self-defense as tragic awful destructive violence, that we ought to be ashamed of and do something about. And the newspaper and police sergeant pushed that button, too.
Again, I agree with that sentiment, it just wasn't clear that this was that.

I'm not strongly invested in this story because there are too many unknowns for me. I was just asking.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Netpackrat wrote:The article has been heavily edited since I first read it, possibly several times. Sounds like the locals are picking sides, and making statements that support whichever way their ax is ground.

If this was truly a home invasion, consider that while the parents of the 11 year old will likely never be nominated for parents of the year, self-defense is still self-defense. I know that I, and probably others here, had effectively unsupervised access to guns and ammo at that age. Granted, unsupervised use would normally have meant an ass-whipping, but 30 years ago gun safes were not exactly common, certainly not in rural AK.
Or in suburban Kentucky. Same situation here. You knew not to touch them unless it was an emergency.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Because we have a number of folks aggressively enthusiastic about self-defense here, and teenagers in bad neighborhoods being found shot dead inside houses that aren't theirs pretty strongly tickle the 'good self-defense shoot' reflex.
I'm aggressively enthusiastic about self defense. It just wasn't clear from the article that that is what it was. If so, "Yay!" If not, "Ugh."
And also because we're all pretty damned tired of the media and political types portraying any example of self-defense as tragic awful destructive violence, that we ought to be ashamed of and do something about. And the newspaper and police sergeant pushed that button, too.
Again, I agree with that sentiment, it just wasn't clear that this was that.

I'm not strongly invested in this story because there are too many unknowns for me. I was just asking.
They seem to be editing the story online, to add 'not self defense' viewpoints.

What really sours me on the 'not self defense' so-called witnesses, is, how does the situation go from 'they were talking outside and he just shot him in the head' to 'dead body in the parlor'? He fell that way? Yeah, and I know a guy who committed suicide by shooting himself 3 times in the back of the head, try again.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Obviously it could turn out different than first report, but if self defense as it seems, then the whole push of the media to make it seem tragic is a load of crap.