My new daily driver lol

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

My new daily driver lol

Post by Precision »

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4616205/o ... ive-cannon

This should work although MPG might be a slight issue.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Re: My new daily driver lol

Post by HTRN »

:shock:

mine mine mine mine MINE!
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

" The main gun is registered as a Destructive Device with the ATF and comes with 10 projectiles. More projectiles are available. The barrel is in excellent condition and has never been molested. It has a factory laser range finder."
Holy shitfire, Batman.

I'm thinking with 10 main gun rounds, you can go get as many more as you want. ;)

I can't decide whether I'd want to take it down to the border, or just drive it at rush hour in L.A. looking for assholes texting and yakking on their cellphones in the fast lane at 10MPH under the limit. :twisted:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Malthorn

Post by Malthorn »

The barrel is in excellent condition and has never been molested.
I've heard some things about tankers. How do they know for sure?
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Malthorn wrote:
I caught that rather odd choice of words myself. Can one purchase a virginal tank? How do you check?
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Malthorn wrote:
Jared never got near it......
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I attended the auction (surprised?).

IIRC, the Chieftain sold for a little more than $100k. The Chieftain ARVE was a much better deal for about half of what the tank sold for. $250k means the seller expects to get 2x his money in a year.

I know that tank fairly well. It's in pretty good shape. It was one of the later marks with better armor and drive.

Chieftains, however, were dogs. They made our M1s seem like Toyotas when we compared maintenance. The fact that they had about half the power to weight ratio of our M1s didn't help the longevity of the drivetrain. Their suspensions were slight upgrades to the Cens.

The USMC, who don't understand armor operations, used M103s with duplex rounds into the 1970s. The Chieftain operated with duplex ammo up to 1990. Only the British persist today with duplex ammo in the Challenger.

Oh yeah, one final quirk of the chieftain. There's no APU. If your main stalls, you have no hydraulics, including brakes. Hope it doesn't stall on a hill, because you're not stopping it till it runs out on the flats.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

To be fair to the Chieftain the M1 is newer and clean slate design, whereas the Chieftain was based on late WWII designs. I think a more proper comparison would be to the US M60 tank.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

It still loses.

1. More robust engine and drive train - M60s were pretty reliable daily drivers
2. Faster shooting: Easy to load cased ammo in main - M60A1 had essentially the same main and FCS as the M1 (M60A3 was actually slightly better)
3. Better suspension - M60 had essentially the same torsion bar suspension as Leopard 2 and M1
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

How much $ to pull the trigger one time? ya, I suspect it's not actually a trigger.......but still?
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.