University Library: Ex Soldier 1, Knife Wielding Douche 0

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

University Library: Ex Soldier 1, Knife Wielding Douche 0

Post by skb12172 »

Well done, Soldier!
Link
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Re: University Library: Ex Soldier 1, Knife Wielding Douche

Post by PawPaw »

Heh!
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Punk had three knives? In my case that would mean I'm NOT going fishing (I carry an extra crappy knife for cutting up bait, in which case the total would be four. Well, and the crappy multi-tool, five. And the REAL crappy knife I keep in my tackle box just-in-case, six.).

Rule 1: Don't be an asshole.

Rule 2: Don't be a loud asshole.

Rule 3: If you insist upon being a loud asshole, and you decide to throw down, make sure the person you throw down on isn't capable of kicking your ass with one hand and both legs tied behind his back and both eyes closed.

Which brings us BACK to rule 1.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm pretty sure I met that guy back in the day. I hope he's still single, 'cause if so, he'll be getting LAID.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Is it acceptable to cause pain for pain's sake in this particular scenario?
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Yogimus wrote:Is it acceptable to cause pain for pain's sake in this particular scenario?
Probably depends upon whether or not you get caught doing it.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Yogimus wrote:Is it acceptable to cause pain for pain's sake in this particular scenario?
Don't be obvious, keep it to yourself FOREVER, and DO it to said asshole wherever plausible for purposes of restraint.

Except that thinking can lead to "rough rides" and worse. So, I guess not. But it's tempting.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

As we say here all the time, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Or as was told to me a much older and tougher man when I was a pup "If you intend to kick ass, you'd better bring ass." Punks mouth got ahead of his ass and he got smacked down for it. Too bad, so sad. happened to all of us once upon. A time. Usually didn't become a police matter then put we don't choose the times we live in,.

Act like as ass, get wiped.
randy

Post by randy »

Probably not (at least not over the amount required to gain compliance), but I see nothing wrong with enjoying the moment however.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

kapikui wrote:
Probably depends upon whether or not you get caught doing it.
By law? Not so much. But in practice, I suspect as long as it isn't over the top, and isn't recorded on camera, it would be let slide. In the case of a police officer who is trained to restrain a suspect using no more force than necessary, a little extra brutality is going to be a hard sell. But just some random guy without that training, who steps in to restrain a threat, it is going to be hard to hold him to the same standard. Maybe even particularly so, if one is a soldier trained to kill people and break things; a jury might well conclude that he used reasonable force so long as the miscreant is still alive.

Kind of like good samaritan laws protect people who attempt to render first aid, but don't protect somebody who is trained in first aid. At least, that is my non-legal opinion.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that at least in this case, the goblin brought deadly force to the table. Our hero would have been completely justified in killing him outright.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop