Defense Against NYC Criminals, NYC Prosecutors, and Mallcops

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Guncrazy

Defense Against NYC Criminals, NYC Prosecutors, and Mallcops

Post by Guncrazy »

Taking an impulsive vacation up to NYC with the family over Christmas and the weekend. Naturally (or rather, unnaturally,) I'll be leaving the guns at home on this trip. I am not happy about this. I'll also be leaving the assisted-opening Benchmade at home. I am not happy about this, either.

So, I'm looking for a decent knife to take with me. Something that will be decent for defense, that won't get me in trouble with the law, and (if possible) something that won't get me kicked out of any tourist attractions that have mallcops and metal detectors.

One option that I've already got is my Spyderco knife, which is new and, for the moment, is difficult flick open. I would hope that security would see it as non-threatening, but I worry that if the cops wanted to screw me for carrying it, they *could*.

Some web sites have suggested that a fixed-blade knife would be legal, though. I've got this one, but it looks a bit scarier, and I'm wondering if the blade angle could cause it to be construed as something illegal (a "dangerous knife"? Really?)

Anybody have an educated opinion on these knives, or a good alternative suggestion? I also plan to be carrying a Surefire G3 flashlight, which might be handy after dark. I have a habit of walking around cities at night, taking pictures. I'm not a great photographer, but I enjoy it. Any other tips specifically related to staying safe while doing that would also be appreciated.
Yogimus

Re: Defense Against NYC Criminals, NYC Prosecutors, and Mall

Post by Yogimus »

... I question the timing.
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

Yeah... saw the other stories after I posted this. Booked a hotel in Chinatown last week, though. Is it really that bad up there right now? Or is it just the press making things seem bigger than they are?
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Spent a lot of time in the city over the years , wait a couple months its going to be a mess for a while . In other words lots of ad hock searches and other pain the the ass security for a while ( two to three months any way).
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I wouldn't go to New York this week for all the tea in China. Wouldn't happen. Of course, the last time I was in New York, I promised that I'd never go back.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good luck if you go. I wouldn't but YMMV. If you want to carry a knife, do not let it be visible. If you're going someplace with metal detectors, don't carry any kind of knife. Think like you're going to the airport.

NYPD generally goes out of their way to be on their best behavior with tourists (tourism helps pay their salaries), unless you're looking like a troublemaker. So look fat and happy and go along to get along. Be invisible. Just keep your eyes open.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

PawPaw wrote:I wouldn't go to New York this week for all the tea in China. Wouldn't happen. Of course, the last time I was in New York, I promised that I'd never go back.
This.

Went through there once. Made sure I didn't leave anything, cause I didn't wanna hafta go back for it. Or, as a friend once put it, "I spent a week there one afternoon."

The stereotypical "Wretched hive of scum and villainy."

(And I know some of ya'll live there, and I'm sorry. For you it may be all that and a hot-fudge sundae, but after my one brief exposure, you couldn't pay me enough to go there for 24 hours.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
BDK

Post by BDK »

NYC is pretty much Disneyland these days - or it was the last few times I wa there.

I admit I had my head on a swivel walking back late at night, but I only saw one fellow who might have been an issue, and it's quite possible he wasn't doing anything but outside smoking - struck me as odd to be out on that nasty a night, but I forgot about all the smoking laws in NYC
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Best friend lives in the Upper West Side in a good area. Even he is saying it is crazy there right now. Do you really have to go now?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

In normal times, BDK has it right. I have roamed Manhattan at all hours with no worries. Of course, I'm a scary looking guy and built like a brick shithouse. If I were a 5'0" 100 lb woman, it might be different.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.