Defense Against NYC Criminals, NYC Prosecutors, and Mallcops

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
rightisright

Re: Defense Against NYC Criminals, NYC Prosecutors, and Mall

Post by rightisright »

Chinatown is one of the safest areas in NYC. From Chinatown north to Central Park is usually relatively safe (with some sketchy areas). Normally, if you stick to touristy areas, you are fine. But with this latest shit going on, who knows. My gf wanted to go see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center and do some tourist like-things (she originally from WA) this week. Yesterday evening, I put the kibosh on those plans.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Yogimus wrote:... I question the timing.
What Yogi said.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

A case russlock MIGHT be OK with NYPD - at least, I sure couldn't figure out how to open one easily.

But, don't you have a bad knee/ankle/toe etc which, on winters streets, requires you to have a stick for a bit of stability?

Or say a monopod for a camera?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:NYC is pretty much Disneyland these days - or it was the last few times I wa there.
Crime is extremely low compared to virtually every other major city in the US, due to having a virtual army of law enforcement, and a policy of zealous enforcement. Combine that with 3 strikes laws and you have alot of former carreer criminals doing life.

I've said it before, NYC is the disneyland for the rich. All those lovely shopping opportunities for billionaires are here. 5 star dining and culture are here. If you aren't in the Forbes 400 though, it will eat up an amazing amount of your paycheck..

Forget carrying a knife. If a cop sees you with one, you will be arrested, and probably prosecuted. You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride, or the multithousand dollar lawyer bills that will come with it. Also, most, if not all recent manufacture knives are interpreted as switchblades, and if the cop can flick the blade open, it's a gravity knife. Both are serious jail time felonies.

You're not going to be allowed through a metal detector with any kind of knife. No, not even those rinky dink swiss army jobs. Tazers/stun guns are illegal, and Pepper spray is, but you have to fill out paperwork for it.

You want a good self defense item? carry some sand/salt in your pocket to throw in an attackers eyes. a roll of quarters will make an ersatz weight for punching. big Maglites are VERY popular to have in cars for obvious reasons. Old enough to look like you need a cane, bring one.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Don't carry anything you're not willing to toss should you need to. If you need to pass thru a metal detector, don't make your toss within sight of it. Leave, divest yourself of whatever might be incriminating, and return.

While carrying it, keep it HIDDEN. All of it, not clipped to your pocket, not visible to anyone looking at you. Not even a bulge.

Remember, you CAN refuse to be searched on entering the subway. Say "I'm sorry officer, but I do not consent to being searched." Then turn around an leave the subway station. Do not be nasty. Do not cause a fuss. You won't be allowed entry upon refusing a search, find another entrance. There are usually plenty of them.

If approached by a cop, be polite. UNFAILINGLY polite. Right now I get the sense that they're looking for an excuse to administer an ass kicking. DO NOT give them reason to choose you for that role. Some NYPD cops are assholes (search the forum for Mark's First Rule of Social Interaction), they will TRY to provoke you. Don't do it. You won't win.

Again, if approached, DO NOT LIE. You can refuse to answer, but do not, under any circumstances, say anything that's not true. You have the right to remain silent, USE IT.

I carry a pocketknife daily, because it's a useful tool. There are far better weapons. Get a bike lock and chain, if asked say you were thinking of renting a CitiBike and wanted to make sure you could secure it while shopping/having lunch/etc. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE KEY ON YOU. Citi Bikes are a good way of getting around parts of the city, but you ought to bring a lock to secure it. There, you can now honestly say an online acquaintance told you that Citi Bikes are good way to get around, but to bring a lock to secure it, so you have a reason to be carrying a lock and chain without a bike in evidence. You're welcome.

On a related note, if you get a chance to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they have a beautiful Christmas set-up with a creche scene at the base of a Christmas tree, all Baroque figures. It's well worth the trip.