Skinny man problems

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
JKosprey

Skinny man problems

Post by JKosprey »

I'm a very skinny guy. Roughly 6 foot and currently at a 32" waist. I don't think I've ever broken 175lbs at my highest, and tend to hover around 160 or so. I've lost some weight and a somewhat significant amount of "gut" in the past few months (I had been a 34" waist briefly) just from cutting down on my beer consumption. My body does not like to hold onto pounds. It results in my hip bones projecting- not much natural padding to cover them up.

This presents some issues for me while carrying. I have less space to hang a gun, and grips tend to stick out like a sore thumb...it's tough to hold them close to the body when there's not much body there. Even the J frame grip prints unless I specifically dress around it (although that may be my sensitivity to it, and not all that noticeable...).

More importantly though, anything other than my J-Frame is very uncomfortable- particularly my 686. I've got a couple of good belts and holsters (Simply Rugged 1.75" belt/sourdough pancake, Desantis holster/1.5" gunbelt)...they hold the gun up alright, but tend to bite into my hip bones. A few weeks ago I made it a point to carry the 686 around the house as much as possible, hoping to get used to it a bit more, and wound up with an area on my off-side that resembled a bed-sore. This seems to occur whether I carry OWB or IWB, and with both belt/holster combos (although less with the thinner width belt/desantis combo). I have tried putting the belt above the hip bone more...that results in the Urckle effect, and the grip halfway to my armpit. I should note, I'm generally not trying very hard to conceal in the woods, but I do make some attempt (long shirts) because NY doesn't have any open carry provisions. Anyone ever run into this problem before? Should I get a padded belt for under my clothes? Been eating plenty of cheeseburgers to no avail.
arctictom

Re: Skinny man problems

Post by arctictom »

Bulky clothing , loose clothing, or move further north , a big winter coat covers about any thing, good luck :D
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Back when I was 6' and a 32" waist I still weighed 200 pounds....

I suggest getting a very good, very stiff belt. My 5.11 belts are so stiff they stand up on their own. A good belt does more for a good holster and gun combo than people think.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

evan price wrote:I suggest getting a very good, very stiff belt. My 5.11 belts are so stiff they stand up on their own. A good belt does more for a good holster and gun combo than people think.
+1.

Also, this is one of those problems that tends to go away eventually. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

It sounds like we could almost swap clothes. I'm a little over 6' and never touched 200#, even when the US Army was feeding me and giving me PT every morning. 32" is a little tight, though. Maybe I fit that in high school.

As I mentioned on the "fat boy" thread, I have a similar problem with ccw. Not much padding between hip bone and weapon, plus everything prints.

Here's what's worked for me:
1. Good belt: I have Kramer double thick horsehide in 1 1/4". Wide enough to support a sidearm, yet thin enough that they don't scream "gun". I sometimes have to get a tailor to modify the belt loops.
2. IWB behind strong side hip: I've tried everything else, and they print too much.
3. Slim automatics: 1911, P35, or P7 are the only ones I can wear for more than a few hours in IWB.
4. Suit or sport coat: I almost always wear a sport coat, even when it's too warm. I always wear a sport coat with IWB carry. If too hot for coat, I carry in pocket.
5. P3AT in pocket holster: if too hot for coat or dress doesn't allow IWB (tuxedo doesn't have belt loops).
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Termite

Post by Termite »

Wilderness instructor belt.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I wore a Kramer double horsehide 1.5" belt for years, and I am sure it is still around here someplace. A couple years ago I had Evyl Robot make a holster rig for my G20, and I pretty much wear the belt from that daily, regardless of what I am carrying. Both are good belts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

Good belts help. You also may want to check out zero concealment. He can adjust the curvature of the holster to the waist size

Very comfortable.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Someone needs to start making a fake beer-belly holster.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

I'm sure a pregnancy-simulating rig could be modified.