Fat Boy CCW

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

Fat Boy CCW

Post by skb12172 »

In the necro thread from 2008 I just exhumed, asking for your #1, 2, and 3 carry options, I noticed quite a few of you opted for fanny packs then. Do you still use one? If not, what do you do? If you have a belly, how do you work around it with CCW? Since gaining 60 pounds after breaking my back a couple of years ago, I've only recently started exercising and have managed to lose 10 pounds. This still leaves me with a significant amount of belly and limits my carry options. I still intend to get back to my "fighting weight" but would like some options in the meantime.

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Re: Fat Boy CCW

Post by BDK »

Good News! Fat Boy pants have huge pockets - I used to carry my 329 NG in a pocket.

Shoulder holsters work well

Honestly I like fanny packs for driving, etc. Both for carry and also to avoid having pokey stuff in my pockets
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Some feel they are like the Shoot Me First photojournalist vests, in that they advertise that you are carrying. I disagree. Apparently, you do too?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I carry either OWB or IWB, about 4 o clock. I cover either with a loose t shirt or Hawaiian-type shirt or bowling/mechanic shirt, depending on the gun. I carry everything from J-frame clones to a Glock 20 in this manner. I'm 5'4" and about 200, for reference.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I thought the thread was a Maxpedition reference.

I need to lose around 15 lbs, and I do have mild love handles. I've experimented, and found I simply need to carry behind the hip not at 3:00 like all the skinny people with flimsy belts do, to make IWB work.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Gave up on fanny packs , iwb mostly and occasionally pocket carry.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Why did you give up on them?
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

skb12172 wrote:Why did you give up on them?
Fashions change, and while our assembled members are not slaves to the fashionista world, we give things a try and keep or discard them based on a number of criteria.

For me, simply, what works is a J-frame in my pocket. It's simple, completely concealed, handy and works with a variety of clothing styles. In short, it works.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
evan price

Post by evan price »

I pretty much automatically assume anybody with a fanny pack has a gun in it.
Photographer vests, too.

I can IWB a J-frame or a Keltec PF9 without any trouble at all even with my extra girth. I buy my pants a size bigger and belt them tight.
Otherwise, a hoodie in cooler weather hides a lot of stuff. I buy my stuff XL-Tall instead of regular XL that way I get an extra couple inches of length.

Last resort is a NAA mini-magnum in a pocket holster.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have about 20lbs I could lose, so I have a bit of a spare tire. I carry a Keltec PF-9 IWB as Lokidude described.

Fanny packs say gun to me. I always wonder what they say to cops. I don't know if bad guys recognize them. I always also wonder just how easy they are to draw from for the carrier.

I got a fanny pack years ago for convenience and carrying stuff up front while backpacking. I personally just don't like them. They seem extremely practical, but I just don't like wearing them.

I've found that a little .380 (suboptimal, I know) works in a cargo pocket or a back pocket pretty well.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D