Fat Boy CCW

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
The Wizard

Re: Fat Boy CCW

Post by The Wizard »

IWB or OWB at the 4-4:30 position has worked well for me with a 2X Tall shirt carrying anything up to my 6" .357

Strong side pocket when I had my 2" Taurus Protector .357

And my .22LR NAA mini gets moved around a lot from shirt pocket to weak side front pocket to my sock to the in the coin pocket in my swimming trunks to inside my cigarette pack or any number of other places. Hell if I still had an Afro I could have probably carried it there it's so small. Though I realize that most of the members here (myself included) either can't grow enough hair, wouldn't want to, or wouldn't have the right hairstyle to even attempt that last one.

5'10" and 275lbs for anyone that needs the reference.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

PawPaw wrote:
skb12172 wrote:Why did you give up on them?
Fashions change, and while our assembled members are not slaves to the fashionista world, we give things a try and keep or discard them based on a number of criteria.

For me, simply, what works is a J-frame in my pocket. It's simple, completely concealed, handy and works with a variety of clothing styles. In short, it works.
pretty much , I carry in the small of my back with a sweater or pull over fleece , works better , in the winter , as I demonstrated some years ago , I could ccw a 460 8 inch smith in winter clothing , so pocket carry for a 4" revolver is not a problem.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I have the opposite problem. I'm 185 cm and 82 +/- kilos. I don't have much padding between my hip bone and IWB sidearm, so I'm limited with my carry options. 1911, P35 or P7 are pretty much all I can stand IWB for more than a few hours.

P3AT in a pocket always works, regardless of body shape.

I tried a few fanny packs. The only one that didn't scream "gun" was one that was pink, and that one just screamed. I'm not kidding. It really was made to carry a gun - it actually had a separate compartment with "quick access" zippers for the gun - and it was pink. Yeah - I bought it marked down on sale.

The biggest problem with fanny packs comes at the range. If you actually try to unlimber your weapon from your fanny pack you realize the fatal flaw of that that method of carry, and I do mean fatal. After a few tries with a friend with a shot timer, I figured I could run back to my car and retrieve a weapon almost as fast.

If you have a different body shape than mine, here's a CCW style that could be employed. It was used by one of the best - Texas Ranger Charlie Miller:
Miller disdained the use of a holster and generally just carried the .45 auto shoved down in the front of his pants. In later years, his big belly pretty well made this a concealed-carry technique.
http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/10/14/ ... ger-tales/
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jered

Post by Jered »

What about a gun purse?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Couldn't find one that went with my outfit.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Maybe this is a stupid question, but it's something I've always wondered. If you have a gun in a pocket, where do you keep your keys and a wallet?
I have my keys in my right front pocket and wallet in my right back pocket (sometimes switch to front right pocket depending on situation). Everything else I need I carry in my left pocket. I wouldn't want to have a gun in the same pocket as other things. Is it as simple as just moving keys and wallet to your left side pockets, and getting used to using your left hand for them? (Or right side if you're left handed)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I don't keep my keys and wallet in my pocket, even if I'm not carrying. I have a small, single strap sports backpack where my day planner, meds, keys, and wallet reside. If I don't have an immediate need for my wallet, it stays in the car, locked in my glovebox. The only things in my pocket are my EDC flashlight and blade.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Erik wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question, but it's something I've always wondered. If you have a gun in a pocket, where do you keep your keys and a wallet?
I have my keys in my right front pocket and wallet in my right back pocket (sometimes switch to front right pocket depending on situation). Everything else I need I carry in my left pocket. I wouldn't want to have a gun in the same pocket as other things. Is it as simple as just moving keys and wallet to your left side pockets, and getting used to using your left hand for them? (Or right side if you're left handed)
Cargo shorts are good for that because they tend to have several pockets. I like to put my pistol in my front right pocket with my phone in the button pocket that kind of overlaps that pocket as that breaks up the outline. Then the keys go in the left pocket and the wallet in the back pocket.

For jeans and such where the pockets are not as roomy, I have a cell phone pouch that goes on my belt that has an extra pouch for the CCW. It works very well except that a "quick draw" would be out of the question. Certainly much quicker than going home to get it though.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Cell in back pocket, and taken out frequently.

Wallet, keys reload and knife in left front pocket, gun only in right.

Or, if carrying a primary, everything is reversed, as the gun goes in my left pocket. (When I remember.)

Space pen clipped to shirt, as is a small flashlight, if I'm working - I carry it less often these days, as I tend to have men now to go look at hard to read plates in small places. (I know, its handy, and I don't mind having one, but I've become less enamored of "stuff.")

Eventually, we will be switching all doors to an electronic system, once we find one we like. As such, I will only need to carry a car key, and some type of token to use for the doors.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Erik's question is kind of how I defaulted to IWB at 4 o'clock.

Carry method 1 (jeans):
Front left: keys w/ flashlight
Front right: wallet, knife
Back pockets: nothing (it irritates me to sit on things)
Shirt pocket: notebook, pen, phone
IWB: pistol
Belt pouch: extra mag

Carry method 2 (cargo):
Front left: keys w/ flashlight
Front right: wallet, knife
Back pockets: nothing (it irritates me to sit on things)
Shirt pocket: notebook (or right cargo pocket), pen
Left cargo pocket: phone
IWB: pistol
Belt pouch: extra mag

I can't seem to leave my wallet behind. Well, legally, I suppose I can't either because my permit is in it.

I don't like my phone on my belt because... well... It jabs me - this is fat boy CCW. :D

I've become less enamored of stuff, too, but this is the stuff I want with me all the time no matter what I'm doing. Obviously, in the house, I leave the wallet and keys in a drawer and sometimes the pen and notebook. But when out, this is the minimum for me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D