What Does SHTF Mean To You?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

Re: What Does SHTF Mean To You?

Post by Precision »

Yogimus wrote:SHTF: When the only thing stopping me from shooting folks for sport s my own conscience.

YOU have a conscience??? Who knew.

That would definitely qualify as SHTF. My break point is significantly lower then that, but I too have the tiered approach to SHTF.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Jered

Post by Jered »

Yogimus wrote:SHTF: When the only thing stopping me from shooting folks for sport s my own conscience.
If it's that bad, the only reason not to shoot folks for sport is to save ammo.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

My ranking system:

Bad: Katrina as it was. An area the size of the UK flattened, an area the size of France & the Benelux without power, and a major city rendered temporarily uninhabitable. Limited law enforcement and temporary riots and dacoity.

Real bad: Katrina as it was portrayed. As above, but with colanders and assless chaps being de riguer in the affected area.

Very Bad Indeed: A modern day repeat of the 1811 New Madrid Earthquake. Multiple major cities trashed. National lines of communication disrupted across a wide area. Possibly bad enough to crash the central government.

OMGWTFBBQ: The Great East-West ICBM swapmeet. Cue the Tom Lehrer.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Or as we call it, "Winter in Montana"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Termite wrote:My flying buddies are coming over for BBQ in 15 min, and I forgot to stock the beer fridge............ :shock:
I didn't get invited, but I'll bring beer.

On a more serious note, SHTF means to me that I might not live another hour. Here in Louisiana we're real good at events like hurricanes where the power might be out for two or three days, and I know how to deal with that, but for me, SHTF has always implied an immediate and identifiable threat to human life that will occur over a short time span.

For example, a massive storm that disrupts utilities, even for several weeks isn't SHTF. When the zombies show up in the front yard, scavenging for food, that's SHTF.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Scouse

Post by Scouse »

The real bad event, that we could not prepare for, an Atom bomb strike. Does not bear contemplating, the two Japanese City's were rebuilt, but it must have been shocking. One second pouring tea, next, nothing, for thousands!

Living in Tel Aviv, would be closer to that event than Sunny Florida, where a small devise could be floated up the beach! But there are many such devises around the world, Pakistan has a lot! Could one such item end up here, in the US? Not talking a delivery system that could be tracked and possibly shot down, but a shipping container?

That to me would be a true SHTF moment.