New Device For Securing Classrooms Against Shooters

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
skb12172

New Device For Securing Classrooms Against Shooters

Post by skb12172 »

It seems like it would be easy to fumble while under stress. Why not just a deadbolt lock on each door? Twist the switch and done. Probably cheaper, too.

LINK
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Re: New Device For Securing Classrooms Against Shooters

Post by randy »

Forget Arming Teachers –
The first 3 words in the headline explains the rationale about this. It's not about keeping shooters out of classrooms, it's about keeping guns away from staff that might become proactive against a threat rather than the Bloomberg et al "run or hide and hope he runs out of ammo before he gets around to you" preferred response.

Kudos on the EMT for coming up with a way to help fortify a classroom door, but it's not an "either or", a good defense must be backed by some sort of offensive capability to be most effective..
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Yeah, agreed, but this doesn't seem anymore effective than a deadbolt and harder to activate while under stress. That was my point. It is probably a lot more expensive, too.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Post by randy »

CByrneIV wrote:illegal in a couple dozen ways, never mind being a stupid fucking idea.

The first time a teacher has to leave the room and a wiseass decides to "barricade" themselves in...
Or someone "borrows" few, barricades some doors from the outside and then starts a fire....
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Let alone Fire Marshall concerns, even if used correctly. An EMT should know that.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Ramdy wrote:The first 3 words in the headline explains the rationale about this.
Ratuinale? Not so much. A rationale infers that it's rational and an active shooter has gone way past rationality. There is a school of thought that shows us that an active shooter in a school-house is looking for targets, in fact, any target will generally do. If he's stymied at a door, he'll move on quickly, looking for that easy target because he knows that he's got just minutes before he becomes the target.

Deadbolts work great. Keep him out of the room for another ten seconds, and you'll probably survive the day.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

That's a distant 57th choice compared to "Shoot the mofo in the face."
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:illegal in a couple dozen ways, never mind being a stupid fucking idea.

The first time a teacher has to leave the room and a wiseass decides to "barricade" themselves in...
That was my first thought, too.

A deadbolt with the teacher having a key prevents that. Don't most school doors lock already anyway? Why not just fix it to lock from the inside with out a key and to unlock from the outside with a key?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

push-bar outward opening and automatically closing/locking steel doors, with a lock on the outside.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Weetabix wrote:

That was my first thought, too.

A deadbolt with the teacher having a key prevents that. Don't most school doors lock already anyway? Why not just fix it to lock from the inside with out a key and to unlock from the outside with a key?
Every school I taught at had a key operated dead bolt lock with the handle on the inside of the door. Since I was disarmed while in school, I literally took a wooden rod the old hanging maps were hung on and kept it handy. It was strong enough for a good quarter staff. I also had a S&W knife in my pocket until the principal heard about it and made me stop carrying it.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist