Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected robber

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
308Mike

Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected robber

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni:
Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected store robber
Published May 30, 2014
FoxNews.com

A Marine veteran taking in lunch break fatally shot a suspected robber Thursday at a video game store in Houston.MyFoxHouston.com

A Marine veteran taking a lunch break in Houston on Thursday fatally shot one of two suspects police say were robbing a video game store at a popular shopping center, MyFoxHouston.com reports.

The veteran, who was identified as a 28-year-old male, was eating lunch at a Quiznos when police say he saw two suspects get out of a car with bandanas over their faces. One reportedly made it out of the store with a handful of games.

The veteran, who has a concealed handgun license, went to his pickup truck, got his pistol and told bystanders to call 911, the Houston Chronicle reports. One suspect was still inside the store at the time, trying to get money from customers, the report said. When they exited, one suspect raised his gun at the veteran, who was taking cover behind his truck, and the two reportedly exchanged fire.

Police said 10 shots were exchanged, one fatally striking one of the suspects. The other suspect dropped the video games and made a run for it, the report said. He was later caught at a fast food restaurant.

Click for more from MyFoxHouston.com.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
PawPaw

Re: Marine vet on lunch break fatally shoots suspected robbe

Post by PawPaw »

Heh! Happy dance time.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

1) 911 notified.
2) Took cover. NOT concealment; cover.
3) Waited until minimal bystanders were in play.
4) Did not initiate the party.
5) Excellent marksmanship once it did start.
6) Guaranteed 0% recidivism on 50% of the perpetrators.

And the reason this guy isn't the marksmanship training instructor for the NYFPD can only be because he'd never be stupid enough to go there and show them how it's done.

I hope the mayor and city council issue him his certificate of public commendation in short order.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop wrote:I hope the mayor and city council issue him his certificate of public commendation in short order.
Heck with that. They ought to issue him police officer certs that will allow him to carry in non-permissive areas. I can't say as I am generally in favor of creating separate classes of armed citizens (to include police), but this guy earned it and has demonstrated sufficient good judgement.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I love a story with a happy ending.

I object to the "journalist's" use of the word "Suspects". It insinuates that there was no way for the Marine to know with any certainty that the two were in fact robbing the store and the customers, but could only suspect they were. If you only read the headlines, there is tremendous and in fact reasonable doubt. The body of the story makes it clear that they were caught in flagrante delicto, as the law terms it, actively robbing. I'll wager that even in a red state like Texas, full of true-blue Americans, the "journalist" is more upset by the death of the robber than by the fact that the robbery, the crime he was actively pursuing, involved guns and easily could have resulted in dead customers.

And the moral of the story? Marines are there to protect innocent life, and they'll shoot you dead if you're threatening someone with death.

This is an occasion for a happy dance, the one who ended up dead is the one who unjustly threatened death to others who were not seeking it, nor were they knowingly risking it by shopping at a game store.

I wouldn't be surprised if seven of the 10 shots were launched by the choirboy. I sense a Mozambique drill.
Last edited by Windy Wilson on Sat May 31, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
randy

Post by randy »

As always in these kind of cases, I'd love to see the look on the face of the surviving "suspect" when the concept of Felony Murder is explained to him. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

randy wrote:As always in these kind of cases, I'd love to see the look on the face of the surviving "suspect" when the concept of Felony Murder is explained to him. :twisted:
I'd pay money to see that. Perhaps it could be incorporated into the sex-education/ conflict resolution/ good citizen classes they offer in middle school when they should be teaching reading, writing and arithmetic.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Somewhere, a church choir is sans a member
Rod

Post by Rod »

Yogimus wrote:Somewhere, a church choir is sans a member
Exactly, two days max before we hear he helped old ladies across the street, collected canned goods for the needy, and sang in the church choir.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Jered

Post by Jered »

Rod wrote:
Yogimus wrote:Somewhere, a church choir is sans a member
Exactly, two days max before we hear he helped old ladies across the street, collected canned goods for the needy, and sang in the church choir.
He was probably an aspiring astronaut that majored in cheerfulness, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.