NC Store Posts ‘No Weapons Allowed’ Sign - Gets Robbed

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
308Mike

NC Store Posts ‘No Weapons Allowed’ Sign - Gets Robbed

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni (video at the link):
NC Store Posts ‘No Weapons Allowed’ Sign. Owners Learn Armed Robbers are Illiterate or Don’t Care.
By Justen Charters

“The Pit” is a restaurant in North Carolina with a sign on its window that reads:
  • “No Weapons.. No Concealed Firearms.”
Here it is.

On Monday, May 19th, the restaurant owners learned just how powerless their deterrent was to criminals. Surveillance footage shows three armed men coming in the backdoor, assaulting two of the employees and forcing them to the floor. Fortunately for the employees, no one was seriously injured.

Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law. The tragic spree shootings at the movie theater in Aurora, Newtown, and other instances bear that painful lesson out. If you disarm good law-abiding people, you’re just making it that much easier for criminals to find helpless victims.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
skb12172

Re: NC Store Posts ‘No Weapons Allowed’ Sign - Gets Robbed

Post by skb12172 »

Karma is a bitch… :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Wow.
They should totally sue the sign company, because obviously theirs was defective.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Aesop wrote:They should totally sue the sign company, because obviously theirs was defective.
Not so fast. Did they have a sign on the back door? Or just on the front door? The robbers came in the back door and might not have known that it was a victim disarmament zone. If there was no sign on the back door, how could they have known? Obviously, the robbers are faultless.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Advertising works
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Everybody is assuming that it's to prevent robbery.

Hardly.

It's to stem the flow of lawsuits in case an armed customer shoots somebody in their store. This is the same reason why virtually every pizza chain has a firm "No Weapons" policy for their drivers, despite the fact that they practically have a "please rob me" sign painted on them. Nobody cares if an employee/customer gets shot and dies, but a multimillion dollar lawsuit is something to be avoided at all costs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Strictly speaking, they're "boilerplate", and equally unenforceable and legally worthless.
In fact, they convey a negative liability because they give the impression of greater safety, while actually decreasing it.
(A point future plaintiff's attorneys will no doubt demonstrate at some happy juncture, in a legally binding six- or seven-figure way.)

"So, Mr. Jones, is it fair to say that you built an actual roof to stop actual rain, with actual walls and actual windows to stop actual winds, put in actual air conditioning to mitigate actual heat and humidity, put in an actual heating system to address actual cold days, and provided actual water to wash off actual dirt from hands and food, but that in a city of 100,000 souls with an actual robbery rate of 4.3 per thousand, granting your establishment a statistical certainty of robbery every several months or years, your solution was to deny anyone who entered the one actual thing that would deter or prevent it, and hired no compensatory armed security for the premises, installed no metal detectors, and made no other provision whatsoever for assuming the moral burden of providing both safe dining to your patrons in a public establishment licensed by this city, and a safe working environment to your employees as is legally mandatory under state law?? You provided only a paper sign to tell robbers that they couldn't stick you up with guns?!? No further questions, your Honor."

Thus their only purpose is to fleetingly soothe the Perpetually Offended Dipshits while sacrificing actual employees and patrons on the altar of human criminality.
Which, in the words of no less an expert than Inspector Calahan, "is a helluva price to pay for being stylish".
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

HTRN wrote:It's to stem the flow of lawsuits in case an armed customer shoots somebody in their store. This is the same reason why virtually every pizza chain has a firm "No Weapons" policy for their drivers, despite the fact that they practically have a "please rob me" sign painted on them. Nobody cares if an employee/customer gets shot and dies, but a multimillion dollar lawsuit is something to be avoided at all costs.
Lawsuits cut both ways.

At the time of the "Luby's Diner" massacre, TX was not a shall issue state. Suzanna Gratia was following state law and had her handgun in her car while having lunch with her parents. Luby's did not need to have a "no guns" sign because state law took care of that for them. Therefore, there was no tort available vis-a-vis Luby's to Suzanna for the death of her parents.

Hypothetical case:
It is now 23 years later. Suzanna's daughter is packing and plans to have lunch with her (packing) parents in Luby's today. TX is now a "shall issue" state, so concealed carry by all participants is now legal.

Luby's has instituted a "no guns" policy which is prominently displayed. Since they are all law abiding citizens, they go back to their cars, unlimber their rigs and return to the diner unarmed.

Although instituting a "no guns" policy, Luby's has not hired and trained armed security guards to provide security for patrons.

"Crazed gunman 2" crashes his car into Luby's and there is "Luby's Massacre 2". Suzanna's daughter gets to watch her parents shot in head by "crazed gunman 2" before police arrive and "crazed gunman 2" shoots himself.

Essay question:
Does Suzanna's daughter now have a tort against Luby's for the wrongful death of her parents? Why or why not? Please cite relevant case law. You have 20 minutes.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Termite

Post by Termite »

D5CAV wrote:Luby's has instituted a "no guns" policy which is prominently displayed. Since they are all law abiding citizens, they go back to their cars, unlimber their rigs and return to the diner unarmed.
If you think Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp would leave her pistol in her car at Luby's again, I have this prime ocean-front real estate in Arkansas I'd like to sell you.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Termite wrote:
D5CAV wrote:Luby's has instituted a "no guns" policy which is prominently displayed. Since they are all law abiding citizens, they go back to their cars, unlimber their rigs and return to the diner unarmed.
If you think Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp would leave her pistol in her car at Luby's again, I have this prime ocean-front real estate in Arkansas I'd like to sell you.
All the same, it's a good exercise. My employer has the same policy. If somebody bursts through the door and starts shooting, is my employer liable, since they don't want me to carry my concealed piece, though state law allows me to do so?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.