Woman fatally shoots DRUNK OFF-DUTY HFD firefighter

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
308Mike

Woman fatally shoots DRUNK OFF-DUTY HFD firefighter

Post by 308Mike »

Because he was trying to get into the WRONG HOUSE WHILE DRUNK, after she warned him and told him she was armed - AND HE STILL tried to break into the house. A sad story.
Woman fatally shoots HFD firefighter while he was trying to get into her home
Posted by Liberty On March 19, 2014 0 Comment

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas — A frightened 64-year-old woman shot and killed a man she thought was trying to get into her Porter-area home Monday night, according to deputies.

The man was later identified as 27-year-old Sam Keen, a firefighter for the Houston Fire Department. He lived next door to the woman.

Mayor Annise Parker told KHOU 11 News Tuesday morning that Keen took a cab home after a night of drinking to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

He was asked to leave the bar so his friends put him in a cab.

“No one did anything wrong. It was just a confluence of events that provoked a tragedy,” Mayor Parker said. “My understanding is that the firefighter, off-duty, had been out. He did what he was supposed to do: he took a cab ride home, got dropped off in the wrong place and wasn’t aware of it. Tried to get into what he thought was his house and was tragically shot.

The shooting happened in the 20600 block of Youpon Lane, according to deputies with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said the woman heard something on her front porch around 9:30 p.m. Monday. She looked out and saw a young man outside. She said she yelled for the man to leave, warning him that she had a gun.

The woman told deputies the man kept trying to get into her home so she fired two shots through the door and then called 911.

Keen was rushed to a Houston hospital where he later died.

Keen and his wife were newlyweds who moved to the neighborhood about a year ago.

“And so I’m just kind of, we’re here to support her and do whatever we can to kind of help them through this process,” said HFD Chief Terry Garrison. “But it’s, it’s a travesty. Whether we lose a firefighter on duty or off-duty, we lose a member of our family.”

Keen joined HFD in 2010 and worked at Station 58. Fire stations across Houston lowered flags to half-staff Tuesday.

Keen also served in the Marines, according to his Facebook site.

The woman who shot him was not physically hurt but was shaken up. Deputies said she was home alone at the time.

“If someone is coming through your door and trying to get in, I could see where she was scared,” said Kathy Pimms, a neighbor.

“She’s a good woman,” said neighbor George Henry. “I known her about five years. She’s a very nice person.”

As is standard policy, the shooting will be sent to a grand jury, officials said.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aesop

Re: Woman fatally shoots DRUNK OFF-DUTY HFD firefighter

Post by Aesop »

Darwin Award, semi-finalist.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

she thought was trying to get into her Porter-area home

The bolded segments are falsities.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Yogimus wrote:she thought was trying to get into her Porter-area home

The bolded segments are falsities.
"She said she yelled for the man to leave, warning him that she had a gun.

The woman told deputies the man kept trying to get into her home"

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Yet another reason to not stagger home drunk.

Tragedy to be sure, but it seems to be justified.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Just another reason why drinking home alone on a Friday night is infinitely safer than "social drinking." :P
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's a sad thing, to be sure, but a cautionary tale about incapacitating yourself and then relying on everyone else to look out for you.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

What I meant was: A frightened 64-year-old woman shot and killed a man [strike]she thought[/strike] that was [strike]trying to get[/strike] breaking into her Porter-area home Monday night, according to deputies.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Yogimus wrote:What I meant was: A frightened 64-year-old woman shot and killed a man [strike]she thought[/strike] that was [strike]trying to get[/strike] breaking into her Porter-area home Monday night, according to deputies.
Gotcha'!

skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Weetabix wrote:It's a sad thing, to be sure, but a cautionary tale about incapacitating yourself and then relying on everyone else to look out for you.
Yup. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.