What percentage of the time do you carry?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

Re: What percentage of the time do you carry?

Post by Precision »

D5CAV wrote:
Precision wrote:how long would it take you from unlocking the vehicle door to putting rifle rounds down range with that setup?
I actually went through that drill once with a friend using a shot timer. The drill was starting with me in the driver's seat. About 3 minutes. I tried about four times, and went from just over 3 minutes to just under 3 minutes.

Add another 2 minutes for the bayo. That's in the box in the back of the truck with the tire chains, so a bit of a PITA to get to. Many municipalities have a dim view of double edged knives inside the cab of the vehicle, and the K98 bayo may be broadly interpreted by some LEOs as a stiletto.

Better to have the rifle locked and loaded in the old-style pickup truck rack? Sure. I just don't have time for all the police stops that will ensue.
glad to hear that you war gamed it.

Three minutes is WAY faster then having to drive home to get your rifle. What ever can be kept close at hand is a good thing.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Update: 0% of the time when I accidentally let my permit expire. I thought it expired on 3/20 (original issue day). Turns out it expired 3/8 - apparently that's the day I renewed last time. My renewal appointment is next Tuesday, 3/18.

Guess I'd better be especially polite and situationally aware until then. The said the appointment takes about 15 minutes, and they issue and laminate the permit right there.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Don't assume that folks in 2A unfriendly states don't carry.

You may, of course, assume that they don't carry legally.

Just saying.
Not like I'd have any personal experience, or anything.
But John Bianchi's classic white tuxedo catalog pictures were both iconic, and rather inspirational, both of us being located in the same state.
Last edited by Aesop on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't assume nothin'. ;)

Sadly, I have to carry only legally because I'm an engineer licensed in each of the 48 coterminous states. If I get charged with anything beyond a traffic ticket, I have to report it to all the boards, and I could lose all my licenses and therefore much of my earning power.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D