How does a young girl defend herself?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Weetabix

How does a young girl defend herself?

Post by Weetabix »

Middle daughter (18) is venturing out on her own more often these days, and being pretty sometimes attracts attention I would rather she not attract. So far it's just been enough to make my antennae twitchy.

She's expressed an interest in pepper spray or mace. I'm thinking a kubaton or something on a key ring might be a good idea. She's taking tae kwan do.

What advice would you offer to equip a young woman to defend herself? Links to products? Links to sites with discussions? I know mindset is key, and I've been beating that drum for years.

Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
George guy

Re: How does a young girl defend herself?

Post by George guy »

One of these?
http://talonknife.com
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

1. Give up on any and all pretense of the way things "should" work
2. Stay with friends
3. Learn how to say "No" early and often.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jericho941 wrote:Find a more practical alternative to TKD.
She's doing it as a social activity right now. What is a more practical alternative?
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Yogimus wrote:1. Give up on any and all pretense of the way things "should" work
2. Stay with friends
3. Learn how to say "No" early and often.
I pretty much already stress those. Right now, I'm thinking about what to do when you've done what you should, but shit has happened anyway.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

George guy wrote:One of these?
http://talonknife.com
Hm….. And I owe you some email.
Jered

Post by Jered »

A walking stick?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Weetabix wrote:
She's doing it as a social activity right now. What is a more practical alternative?
Krav Maga?
randy

Post by randy »

To some extent I don't think the style means as much as the mindset. Darlin' Daughter took Karate for 5 years and stopped short of her brown belt due to being a little burned out and not ready for the intensity of dedication needed to proceed higher in testing.

However, she has picked up (or had reinforced, I hope I planted the original seeds) a refuse to be victimized mind set, is pretty good at situational awareness (for a female teen), and has no problem with going on the offense if required. (they just recently had another discussion about response to an active shooter at her school, and reports some of her classmates find her attitude "scary" :mrgreen: ). All more important than the particular style.

Twice that I know of, her attitude and demonstrated skill (going into a fighting stance/blocking position and moving out of a corner) have stopped situations at school before they developed.

She's already taking it for granted that she's getting her CCW when she turns 21.

That being said, I have heard that Krav Maga is a "more practical" style. Just watch out (as with any martial arts) for the schools more interested in ego stroking the instructor, looking good and style, or tournament success than individual development.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".