Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop aids attacked woman

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
308Mike

Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop aids attacked woman

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni:
Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop comes to aid of woman being attacked
Published April 23, 2013 | FoxNews.com

A Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop helped a neighbor woman escape a Tuesday morning attack by a man who had been stalking her.

Kent Hendrix woke up Tuesday to his teenage son pounding on his bedroom door and telling him somebody was being mugged in front of their house. The 47-year-old father of six rushed out the door and grabbed the weapon closest to him -- a 29-inch high carbon steel Samurai sword.

He came upon what he describes as a melee between a woman and a man. His son stayed inside to call 911 while he approached the man along with other neighbors who came to help. The martial arts instructor didn't hesitate in drawing the sword and yelling at him to get on the ground.

"His eyes got as big as saucers and he kind of gasped and jumped back," Hendrix said by phone Tuesday afternoon. "As he was coming through the fence, this is where I drew down on him and told him to get down on the ground," Hendrix told Fox13Now.com. He continued, "he was staring down 29 inches of razor."

The man ran down the street with the barefoot Hendrix and others in pursuit. Hendrix said he couldn't catch the man before he fled in his car, but he picked up ChapStick that the man dropped and memorized his license plate.

"I yelled at him, `I've got your DNA and I've got your license plate: You are so done,"' Hendrix said.

The suspect, 37-year-old Grant Eggersten, turned himself in to police an hour later, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. He was booked on charges of robbery, attempted burglary, trespassing and violation of a stalking injunction.

Hendrix, a pharmaceutical statistician, was one of several neighbors who came to the woman's aid after she began yelling for help, Hoyal said.

The incident began just after 7 a.m. when the 35-year-old woman came out of her front door, Hoyal said. Eggersten was hiding behind her carport and attacked her, knocking her to the ground, Hoyal said.

He took her keys and tried to open the door into her house, Hoyal said. That's when the woman ran down the street calling for help.

The woman did the right thing by fighting back and calling for help, Hoyal said. She suffered minor injuries.

Hendrix, a bishop in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said it was the first time in 30 years of practicing martial arts that he's used the sword. He didn't swing it at the man, only showing him he had it.

He said he's proud of his 14-year-old son for alerting him and quickly calling 911. He said the family is still abuzz about the events.

"That kind of thing doesn't happen every day," Hendrix said. "Our neighborhood is a pretty quiet place."

A fourth-degree black belt in the Kishindo form of martial arts, Hendrix owns a collection of swords and weapons that he trains with, said his wife, Suzanne Hendrix. He has trained with the sword he used Tuesday for 20 years and keeps it by his bed.

"Some people have bats they go to," said Hendrix. "I have my sword."

Click for more from Fox13Now.com
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
randy

Re: Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop aids attacked woman

Post by randy »

Glad it worked out, and the sight of naked steel may have had a shock value on the goblin a firearm would not have, but I wouldn't call it an optimal weapon for the situation, particularly if the perp had a firearm.

I know, bayonet on the Mossberg, best of both worlds ;)

Good on him for being willing to get involved and help out, I just question his tactical choices.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A good story with a happy ending. Lucky the bad guy was apparently unarmed.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

It's not the weapon, it's the man.
A devout man of God threatening to send you straight to hell with a 29" razor blade. It might make the perp wonder if it is right to get in a fight with a man of God...
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

There is also no truth to the rumor that he also yelled at the guy "Shave and a haircut: six bits!" as the perp legged into the distance.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Who said, "getting shot is one thing, a bayonet is personal!"
Glad it worked out, although now is this an example for an American threatening to chop someone's head off as a complete balance to all the other examples from the Religion of Peace?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

This needs to become a movie. Or at least a graphic novel/cartoon...
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

skb12172 wrote:This needs to become a movie. Or at least a graphic novel/cartoon...
Hobo With A Shotgun was the first thing that came to mind. :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Is this one of the changes they made in Pathfinder? I though Clerics couldn't use edged weapons? :ugeek:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Doesn't Chris have a similar story?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop