design input for mk IV Chest Plate

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

design input for mk IV Chest Plate

Post by Precision »

The son and I have been discussing what to do for our next iteration of the Bullet "Proof" chest plate. Our current model stops 7.62 x 54 steel core but is 2 5/8" thick. So now we are trying to make a thinner version that will have the same stopping power.

One very obvious way is to use better steel so we can go thinner and have the same stopping power. We had two layers of 1/8" mild steel. Our thought is one layer of AR 400 or AR 500 would have half the weight but more than double the stopping power. We are NOT finding thin AR steel.

Another issue is the backer / containment for the tiles is duct tape. That has distinct limitations and is heavy for strength. I am thinking that buying some wire mesh or fiberglass mesh and super gluing / gorilla gluing the tile pieces would provide a stronger base but I don't know how well the super glue will hold.

Any ideas on where to find 10x12 plates of AR 300 -400 -500 steel in less than 1/4" thickness?

Any ideas or suggestions on improving the matrix to hold the tiles in place?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Aglifter

Re: design input for mk IV Chest Plate

Post by Aglifter »

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

But it is in 3/8" thicknesses...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

What about molding/encapsulating the layers? Can anyone think of a pourable potting/molding compound that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? Sure you could just set it fiberglass resin but that might be a bit brittle. A pit pliability would seem an advantage in this case. Maybe even turkey bag it and pull a vacuum on it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

(This is not a joke) Chocolate has excellent energy dispersion properties when solidified.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I use cornstarch when doing stir fry. I mix a table spoon with a dab of water and it just has the strangest consistancy. Its like it just sits there until you try to stir it and then it gets real stiff almost in a hydraulic sort of way. I know it won't work for your vest but maybe someday they'll figger out something useable.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

McClarkus wrote:I use cornstarch when doing stir fry. I mix a table spoon with a dab of water and it just has the strangest consistancy. Its like it just sits there until you try to stir it and then it gets real stiff almost in a hydraulic sort of way. I know it won't work for your vest but maybe someday they'll figger out something useable.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/ ... on-impact/

They already have......
"All somebody has to do to get along peacefully with me is leave me and mine alone. They open the door to violence, they've got no right to complain if more than they bargained for walks through."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Non newtonian fluid
oh snap. good thought. Interesting possibilities. "Big Hunk Armor!"
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

my understanding is that non newtonian fluids react too slowly to be an effective bullet stopper.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/