Defensive Tactics Against Mobs

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
workinwifdakids

Defensive Tactics Against Mobs

Post by workinwifdakids »

Say Uncle had a blog entry that really caught my attention. The question he posed was, What tactics would you use against a mob?

I want to open the hypothetical spigot, and include full-blown city-wide riots, violent angry mobs (masses of sports fans after a critical win or loss), and whatever else you can think of. I'd prefer for the purposes of this thread we stay away from zombies, and defending your static residence is something we've already done.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
George guy

Re: Defensive Tactics Against Mobs

Post by George guy »

"Why would anybody need high-capacity magazines?"

How about "Why would anybody need a machine gun?"
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
randy

Post by randy »

1. If caught in mob while in my vehicle (as happened in the Wisconsin incident), I will remember that I'm in a 5,000+Lb [strike]weapon[/strike] vehicle with an inline-6 and 4 wheel drive. I'm going into 4WD Low mode, shifting to first gear and releasing the brake with my foot over the accelerator ready to floor it if the tactical situation requires it.

2. Any intrusion into the vehicle by a mob member will be immediately followed by an extrusion of at least 115Grains traveling at 1225 FPS.

3.There are no individuals in a mob. You cannot appeal to them with reason or pleas of pity. All you can do is cause the mob enough pain (through violent interaction with some of the drones that make it up) to make it shift it's attention somewhere else long enough to make a break for it. If you can score enough hit points on individual components, you can make it dissipate entirely.

4. If I die in such an event, I'm not going alone.

That being said, the best tactic is avoidance. If the local bunch of highly paid game players do something significant, I'm going to stay the hell away from downtown or any collection of sports bars or university students. I'm going to E&E to my home and hunker down with a few of my neighbors and see what develops.

From a purely tactical and ruthless point of view, the best way of dealing with a mob is:

Aircraft equipped with mini-guns and/or cluster munitions

or

Sniper teams on the high ground with spotters designating the most loud mouth components of said mob (will usually be at the back of the mob urging the rest on).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

How much planning do you have/how ruthless are you prepared to be?

What are your goals? Is leaving the city/neighborhood a viable option? Most riots, even in 3rd world countries are only in certain areas - you might have a celebration/protest go violent, but that's likely to only be for a few blocks, possibly spawning roving packs of goblins.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Jered

Post by Jered »

In the words of Burt Gummer, "Full auto, preferably belt fed."
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Am I alone, with the GF or are we in a large group of family / friends

If I am on foot and near a building or the like, back into a corner and engage targets not smart enough to realize that I took a defensive position, not cowering in fear. If for some reason I only have the P3AT I mentally kiss my ass goodbye if they come my way. If I have the G-22, 31 rounds should make them look for easier prey. My engagement range would push out quite a bit if they were coming at me as a dense wave.

If I am in my truck, 4 wheel high with continuous movement forward towards an out. I will go over or through any mob activity that crosses my path. Ear plugs in and pistol fire as needed. If it really gets bad reload and have the carbine ready (being thankful for over 100 rounds of ammo in the truck.

An alternative with the truck might be to climb into the bed, with the G-22 and the sub-2000 (with the GF) and make that our stronghold. Four feet above the mass and plenty of ability to repel boarders.

I don't think that kind of criminal wilding has much momentum once it hits strong resistance. I won't go out of my way to be that resistance, but if it comes to me I will resist strongly, hopefully enough to divert their churn away.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Jered

Post by Jered »

In LA, the mobs stayed away from the Asians that had "evil assault weapons."
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I think that works - Cooper thought, essentially, making unexplained bad things (suppressed 22 lr rounds into the lungs of ring leaders) happen would be the most effective.

I think, essentially, you want to either get
A) Huh, what's wrong w. me/those guys? Or
B) Egads, what's wrong w. ALL THOSE GUYS? (This is where you have to decide on the level of ruthlessness.)

Throwing one maltov into a mob, might not work, setting up quite a few, and using a water balloon launcher might make things confusing enough to disperse the crowd. Likewise, a few rounds might result in a "He shot Snuffy, Get Him!" moment. But I don't think there is a "He Shot Snuffy, Bubby, Charlie, Tommy, Paddy, etc, etc, etc, Get Him!" moment.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Every group has a leader, make him your first target and look for who takes his place.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Fivetoes wrote:Every group has a leader
That can be a costly assumption to make.