Situational Awareness or Paranoia?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Dub_James

Re: Situational Awareness or Paranoia?

Post by Dub_James »

No offense to any of the ladies here, but like calling a previous occupant of the Oval Office "Mr. President", "SWMBO" is to me an honorary title 8-)

She gets told my reasoning, whether she likes it or not is not my concern. We've not had many problems.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I just ignore the critics. I tend to not over advertise my preparations, I don't want folks to know exactly how prepared I am at any time. Significant others are usually very appreciative as they know they are safe (as can be) with me. Most women I have dated have switched to carrying or at least owning guns if they didn't already.

I wonder about the paranoia sometimes, but I don't think being prepared is a problem. If I was always muttering about "them" and not sleeping well because I ran out of tinfoil I might start to worry.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Termite

Post by Termite »

skb12172 wrote:A few points of information:

Not my wife. She is my girlfriend.

She grew up in a VERY sheltered and safe area. She is also the daughter of a pacifist minister.

She has a Master's degree in Counseling and wants to save/understand everyone.

She tolerates my CCW habits, but everytime I even try to show her how to hold an unloaded handgun, she shakes and practically seizes up.

After a year, this relationship is going south for several reasons. I won't dish on my additional issues with her for the sake of politeness, but one of her many issues with me is the fact that I'm

"100%, completely All Boy. It's just too much. It's overload."

Apparently, she finds me a bit barbaric and cynical in my world-view, compared to her genteel upbringing. I am a different flavor for her, as she usually goes for the emo type.

Coincidence or not, two of her ex's have come out of the closet. Not gay-bashing here, because I spent five years in musical theater, for pete's sake. Not a homophobic bone in my body. I'm simply stating a fact.
Well......shit, where to start...... :?

OK, no starting, just this, and NO OFFENSE IS INTENDED, SKB:

It's your love life, dude, so do as you see fit. But I would break it off, unless she's willing to make massive changes, most of them mental.
CByrneIV wrote:......and your's has [strike]a[/strike] several personality(and psycological) issues that I wouldn't put up with.
Yeah, what he said.

Think about her and you, as though the two of you were......fish. :mrgreen:

She's a tropical fish, in need of a special aquarium, with heated water, special food, etc. Very delicate, easily stressed.

You are a catfish. Catfish can live damn near anywhere, and eat just about anything.

Just my $.02 worth.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Erik

Post by Erik »

I'm kinda with Termite here. It's your life, you do as you please. Personally I learned from experience that I will not stand for having a SO ridiculing me for something I believe in, or trying to change my behaviour in other important ways, like the commitment I put into my job or my other obligations. If they dont like me for what I am, I see no point in trying to pursue anything with them. It's not like it's going to get better if you accomodate them, they'll just find other things about you to ridicule and put you down with.
But then again I'm single, so I really dont know much about relationships anyway.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Musical theater? Well at least you're not a beauty school drop out.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

The only "odd" things w. gfs have been:

A) One, who knew I carried, had bumped into it, etc went dashing across the room when she saw it.

B) A crazy whom I encountered years later, was adamantly explaining at a party that she had never handled a gun before, because of the "evil vibrations"... This was untrue.

Admittedly, I haven't had many serious relationships, but usually I haven't had any problems w. the "Darling, please: move over there/leave now/etc."

Usually, women seem pretty easy to handle - as for carry, that can be difficult, until there are young children involved.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Ha! Yeah, musical theater. I played in the pit orchestra for a touring broadway show company. I made a lot of money, but being on the road for 200+ days a year got really old.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Erik wrote:I'm kinda with Termite here. It's your life, you do as you please. Personally I learned from experience that I will not stand for having a SO ridiculing me for something I believe in, or trying to change my behaviour in other important ways, like the commitment I put into my job or my other obligations. If they dont like me for what I am, I see no point in trying to pursue anything with them. It's not like it's going to get better if you accomodate them, they'll just find other things about you to ridicule and put you down with.
But then again I'm single, so I really dont know much about relationships anyway.
It's good advice. Wish everyone followed it.

I'm in the long drawn-out process of losing a (I wish) lifelong friend because he married someone who basically ridicules the parts of him that made us friends in the first place, and he's letting her change him. I REALLY don't like her, she's not a good person (he's a giver- and she's a taker) and not good for him... I keep in touch, basically waiting for the divorce.

Changing yourself to try to become what some woman wants does *not* end well.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Changing yourself to try to become what some woman wants does *not* end well.
Usually for either party, although only one typically realizes it.
:x
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Old saying: "When in doubt, GET OUT!!"
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius