A weapon that is not a weapon...

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Whirlibird

Re: A weapon that is not a weapon...

Post by Whirlibird »

The padlock weapon is common in the "biker" community, but usually/often is 'tied' in the middle of a bandana and stuffed into the back pocket with the tails hanging out.

Vicious and nasty.

The 3-D cell Mag-Light is still a favored weapon of the biker crowd, the kill-light is hung from the usual light ring on the belt and it's there in case you break down on the side of the road at night.
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Whirlibird wrote:The padlock weapon is common in the "biker" community, but usually/often is 'tied' in the middle of a bandana and stuffed into the back pocket with the tails hanging out.

Vicious and nasty.

The 3-D cell Mag-Light is still a favored weapon of the biker crowd, the kill-light is hung from the usual light ring on the belt and it's there in case you break down on the side of the road at night.
True, but the bandanna/padlock combo is an obvious weapon, while a chain/lock combo is - arguably - not... As someone who knows how some cops can be about bikers, I tend to walk a fine line when riding...

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Termite

Post by Termite »

JAG2955 wrote:Not looking for revenge. I'm looking for a way to defend myself while straddling a 450 pound bike. I guess if the guy stops and gets out, and if I can't get around him, drop the bike, and stand my ground.
You're on a bike. Don't seek out trouble.

However, should trouble seek you out...........
You're sitting on a 450lb motorcycle with dual purpose tires and 50hp. If he gets out of the car and approaches you in a clearly threatening manner, powerlift the front wheel and nail him in the chest. Be sure to gas it as your rear wheel goes over his torso. And don't stop if there aren't other witnesses.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

Termite wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:Not looking for revenge. I'm looking for a way to defend myself while straddling a 450 pound bike. I guess if the guy stops and gets out, and if I can't get around him, drop the bike, and stand my ground.
You're on a bike. Don't seek out trouble.

However, should trouble seek you out...........
You're sitting on a 450lb motorcycle with dual purpose tires and 50hp. If he gets out of the car and approaches you in a clearly threatening manner, powerlift the front wheel and nail him in the chest. Be sure to gas it as your rear wheel goes over his torso. And don't stop if there aren't other witnesses.
And to be really stealth with a weapon that isn't a weapon: Ride a Vespa, wear a bowler and carry a brolly (http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/unbreakable_umb.php).
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Termite's reply just made me LOL. I'm also touched that you remember that I ride a dual-sport. (Or am I?...creepy) I think that what I might actually go with is Gerber's Backpaxe. It's a big hammer sized hatchet, which would be handy in a survival situation. Besides, a hatchet was Dad's weapon of choice while riding in the 60s-70s. He said that when dogs would chase him, he would use the flat side to whack them if they got too close.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

How about a Stanley Fubar?

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

JAG2955 wrote: I'm also touched that you remember that I ride a dual-sport. (Or am I?...creepy).
There aren't that many of us on the Forum that currently ride bikes. It's not like I'm memorizing the Periodic Table(which my HS chemistry teacher required). I also know that G-man rides a SuperHawk, Chris B. lusts after a BMW, and one other member rides a deer-killing Ducati.

Speaking of riding, Oct 11 isn't that far off, and I'm still trying to decide for sure if I'm going to do a SaddleSore 1000(1000 miles in 24hrs). Logistics support Sunday being the best day traffic-wise, leaving at 0500 and getting home about 2130-2300 hrs.

As for convenient weapons, an ASP baton is very low profile, and quite handy for smacking dogs that chase you. The 21" size is about 7.5" collaped, and fits neatly in a jacket pocket.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
g-man

Post by g-man »

Actually, I've got the deer-killing Superhawk, but your point is well made.

Something else to consider would be the correct gear. I wore a pair of these for about 2 years (when they went through one too many rainstorms and finally gave up the ghost...):

Standing up at a light and lightly rapping the knuckles together was a good way of getting the occasional 'DC Stoplight vendor' to give me a wide berth. If you haven't done it already, a set of frame sliders or crash bars would be a good investment. If you're stopped and can't get away when someone is trying to start sh*t, hitting the kill switch and just stepping off the bike (knowing the sliders/cage will save it) telegraphs "You have really messed with the wrong m*fk*r" in a way very few actions can.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
SleepTech7777

Post by SleepTech7777 »

If you're on a bike, you're on the almost perfect 'get away' machine. There is NO shame in walking, or riding away from a fight. As you grow older, you will find that this strategy will also hurt MUCH less!! :mrgreen:

If you're cornered, and you feel you're life is in danger,shoot 'em, fight 'em, 'bang' em' with what ever you have. That is your God given, Constitutionally guaranteed Right.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

AH! But what kind of bike do I ride? I posted pics in the old forum even. For bonus points what kind of bike does Miss G&T ride?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.