Five fatal stabbings every week-knife crime crackdown

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
HTRN

Re: Five fatal stabbings every week-knife crime crackdown

Post by HTRN »

automatic presumption of jail for knife possession
Damn, I can't remember the last time I was outside with a pocketknife(and a leatherman, and a flashlight and a.. :mrgreen: )

And banning them is idiocy. With a coupla hours work, I can turn a file into a stilleto just with the stuff in my garage. :roll:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
DKDay

Post by DKDay »

HTRN wrote:With a coupla hours work, I can turn a file into a stilleto just with the stuff in my garage. :roll:
I thought you kept that kind of stuff on the coffee table in your living room...
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

I'll put $1.00USD on large bolts/nails being the next controlled item. Since they can be used to make garrottes, fistloads, and shivs.
Erik

Post by Erik »

thatguy wrote:I'll put $1.00USD on large bolts/nails being the next controlled item. Since they can be used to make garrottes, fistloads, and shivs.
More likely they'll adopt the "streetweapon" laws that some countries have. This is a nice catch all definition that covers absolutely anything that can be used as a weapon.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
randy

Re: British government cracking down on knives.

Post by randy »

g-man wrote:Dayton OH, (where I own a house) has a murder rate averaging .020% over the last 3 years, and doesn't even break into the top 10 most dangerous US cities.
And most of those are limited to certain parts of town, and seem, one way or another, to involve disputes over the transaction of recreational pharmaceutics.

g-man, next time you're in town, drop me a line. Bust a couple of caps and/or hoist some frosty ones.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

Have they banned cricket bats yet?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

More likely they'll adopt the "streetweapon" laws that some countries have. This is a nice catch all definition that covers absolutely anything that can be used as a weapon.
Don't they have some kind of weird law concerning "offensive weapons"?
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Good point. However now that you mention it don't they already have some kind of weird law concerning "offensive weapons" that does the same thing?
Erik

Post by Erik »

The term used here is "street weapons", or more literally "street combat weapons". This is designed to include nunchakus, batons, brassknuckles, slingshots, chains, etc. But to make sure they didn't miss anything, they gave it a name and included anything that could be used as a weapon. So cricket bats and pool cues are also included.

In the UK, it seems the term is, as you say, "offensive weapons" http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/Uk ... 60026_en_1
But that law seems to only include knifes and edged weapons, but the law is a bit murky since it is seems it's enough that it's "offensive".
An Act to make provision about persons having knives, other articles which have a blade or are sharply pointed or offensive weapons; and about selling knives or such articles to persons under the age of sixteen years.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
moose42

Post by moose42 »

Why don't they ban offensive criminals first. Oh wait, they don't want to jail or prosecute the bad guys anymore.
Years from now our children and grandchildren living in a 3rd world America will ask "What were you doing on March 21st 2010 and why didn't you stop it?"
--Me

Come check out my blog where I share my crazy sci-fi and fantasy fiction.
Alone: King of One