Sam Houston Knives close-out sale

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Catbird

Re: Sam Houston Knives close-out sale

Post by Catbird »

blackeagle603 wrote:I see Damascus blades like BBQ guns. Nice to have a show off for carry at times.
I'm a boy scout leader and I think a Scout is out of uniform if he doesn't have a knife on him. I tend to favor right front pocket clip carry. I ordered one of these. I like the decoration on the back edge of the blade and handle. The fine point will be good for wood carving.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:And I know I'm, um, anomalous. :)
That could be my sig line. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Greg, we have FAR more anomalous members than you... Weetabix, OTH....
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Did anyone get any email confirmation of the order besides PayPal or any "order has shipped" alerts?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I ordered mine on Tuesday the 28th. It arrived Friday afternoon.

It was a little larger than I was expecting. The cheek of the knife blade has quite a pronounced hollow grind. The middle of the blade has a slight indentation. It is not a smooth curve from tip to heel. I can live with this for the price. The logo detracts a little from the beautiful damascus pattern. The decorative cuts on the back edges are very attractive. When closed, the tip can be caught with a finger tip. I may grind it down a bit. The bone handle looks very nice. The leather sheath is very basic and serviceable. I doubt if I will use it.
damascus knife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't know knife terminology like the rest of you, but here goes.

I like the weight and the size. The shape of the scales is quite comfortable. Compound grind (? based on a quick google). The whole thing is pretty, and the price was right so that I won't be afraid to use it. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:I don't know knife terminology like the rest of you, but here goes.

I like the weight and the size. The shape of the scales is quite comfortable. Compound grind (? based on a quick google). The whole thing is pretty, and the price was right so that I won't be afraid to use it. :D
That looks really nice. Are the scales wood or composite? (Looks like polished G10 to me, which is cool.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Guy at work told me micarta.