Should I buy a Patton sword?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
JAG2955

Should I buy a Patton sword?

Post by JAG2955 »

I was at a coin shop, turning paper money into gold, and the proprietor had a Patton sword for sale, 1914 manufacture, for $450. The knucklebow may have been re-welded to the pommel, is the only thing that could be wrong with it. I'll have to get a better look. No tent peg scabbard, and the blade was in good condition.

I like historical stuff, and a Patton sword is the cheapest way to get a "real" sword, in my mind. Plus, it could be fun to get drunk and go swashbuckle in the backyard.
Mike OTDP

Re: Should I buy a Patton sword?

Post by Mike OTDP »

They're good swords. But remember, they are primarily thrusting weapons.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It's a neat vestigal arm. A cool what-could-have-been, in the military world.
Greg

Post by Greg »

JAG2955 wrote:It's a neat vestigal arm. A cool what-could-have-been, in the military world.
At times recently I have been sorely tempted to buy a halberd.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

JAG2955 wrote:I like historical stuff, and a Patton sword is the cheapest way to get a "real" sword, in my mind. Plus, it could be fun to get drunk and go swashbuckle in the backyard.
I think this belongs here:

https://youtu.be/Q_RpbaUU7NI

:lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Darrell wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:I like historical stuff, and a Patton sword is the cheapest way to get a "real" sword, in my mind. Plus, it could be fun to get drunk and go swashbuckle in the backyard.
I think this belongs here:

https://youtu.be/Q_RpbaUU7NI

:lol:
The wire sticking out of the rubber hand at the wrist was the best part.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Mike OTDP wrote:They're good swords. But remember, they are primarily thrusting weapons.
Well, fhere goes using it to saber champagne bottles.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

HTRN wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:They're good swords. But remember, they are primarily thrusting weapons.
Could I do that with an el Cheapo Chinese or Pakistani Saber or would I have to spring for something more government issue?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Could I do that with an el Cheapo Chinese or Pakistani Saber or would I have to spring for something more government issue?
I've heard of it being done with lawnmower blades. :mrgreen:

Ideally, you want to use something with a sweeping blade, but if you have a machete about, it will probably work fine, just remember, the trick is to get it ice cold, hold it by the punt, then swing along the seam. Also, you might want to use the back edge of the blade, so you dont damage the cutting edge.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Alton Brown recommends a curved blade for champagne ops but did mention lawn mower blades as well...