That's Not A Sharpener...

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell

That's Not A Sharpener...

Post by Darrell »

This is a knife sharpener:

https://youtu.be/k3SbEWFSA8s

Very impressive piece of work, some guy in Russia makes them. Found via arfcom a couple of days ago.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
tfbncc

Re: That's Not A Sharpener...

Post by tfbncc »

Looks like it's built to last.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's basically a lansky remade by a tool and die maker. :ugeek: :lol:

I can imagine what it costs. For that kind of money, you're better off with a 1 inch kalamazoo and the appropriate belts.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The prices I saw at the arfcom thread were from $200 to $60, IIRC. I thought it more like the Edge Pro than a Lansky.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

A 1 inch kalamazoo is 280 bucks on Amazon, a HF 1 inch belt grinder is like 40 bucks.

There's a reason why knifemaker don't bother with this nonsense, and just use the slack belt method on a belt grinder to sharpen knives.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:There's a reason why knifemaker don't bother with this nonsense, and just use the slack belt method on a belt grinder to sharpen knives.
If you ever get a peek at a meat-trade industrial supply catalogue, you'll see that there are grinders sold specifically for sharpening butchers' knives, with a 1-inch sanding belt on the right-hand end of the spindle (sharpening), and a cloth mop for polishing compound on the left end (to rub off the wire edge).
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I don't know, my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener does a damned fine job of putting razor edges on my straight-edge kitchen cutlery (plus my Spyderco Mariner, and many other pocket knives). I've sharpened so many family member blades I quit counting. I got tired of sharpening my mom's knives and bought her a sharpener of her own, but her care-taker (before my mom passed) was terrified by sharp knives so I could only sharpen a few blades which my mom used often.

Just remember, a SHARP KNIFE IS A SAFER KNIFE!!!!

For the money and time invested, I'll stick to my Spyderco Triangle Sharpener system (my only regret is they don't have a pair of fine diamond ceramic sticks for sharpening/refreshing ceramic blades - the ones they DO HAVE are for rough-cut tearing down the initial edge angles, and are NOT for re-sharpening/re-edging ceramic kitchen blades (the last time I checked).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have a Sharpmaker. It's great, but it's also slow. As in, you can spend hours if not days on one knife if it started off in less than ideal condition.

A belt grinder with the slack belt method is very much faster, and does convex edges (in many ways superior and desirable) naturally.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr