Samurait Sword in defense of home?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
toad

Samurait Sword in defense of home?

Post by toad »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/29/co ... cmp=hplnws

Is it just me or do you find the term Samurai sword too generic. Also it seems the young man needs more training. The goblin shouldn't have been able to run away. "Is that a hand I see before me on the floor." Probably a dull display Katana. Also, good doggies!
JustinR

Re: Samurait Sword in defense of home?

Post by JustinR »

Well not everyone bothers to learn iaido/kenjutsu. Actually, almost no one. A wakizashi is better suited for CQB.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Denis

Post by Denis »

The 19-year-old Quinebaug Valley Community College student says someone had broken into the home a couple weeks ago and stolen their PlayStation.

Maldonado says he opened the door and slashed the man ...
I sense some righteous indignation. As Col. Cooper used to say, the proper reaction to crime is anger, followed by overwhelming force!
Greg

Post by Greg »

JustinR wrote:Well not everyone bothers to learn iaido/kenjutsu. Actually, almost no one. A wakizashi is better suited for CQB.
I'm thinking HEMA. And anything they might issue on shipboard for a boarding action ought to work - boarding axe, boarding pike, cutlass, etc. I've considered one of the smaller 2 handed axes myself, for fun.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Why not a machete?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

skb12172 wrote:Why not a machete?

They are my preferred bladed weapon of choice.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Me too. What brand and model do you prefer?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
toad

Post by toad »

I've often thought about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Kukri- ... b_title_hi

It's cheap and so am I.
Greg

Post by Greg »

toad wrote:I've often thought about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Kukri- ... b_title_hi

It's cheap and so am I.
I went with a KLVUK from HI.

Which means a (iirc) Keshar Lal Villager Utility Knife, from Himalayan Imports. It's about the cheapest high quality handmade in Nepal khukuri you're going to find. It makes no concessions to cosmetics, so less labor went into it than a mirror-finished pretty khukuri. But it sure is functional, I can tell you.

They periodically import bunches of them, look in the HI subforum at Bladeforums.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

What about a cold steel pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.