Samurait Sword in defense of home?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
First Shirt

Re: Samurait Sword in defense of home?

Post by First Shirt »

Condor makes some really good machetes, in a variety of styles, including a kukri-style blade. Good steel, holds an edge well, and not terribly expensive.

I've got a couple, and I'm pretty pleased with them.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote:I've always heard good things about Tramontina machetes. Supposed to be *extremely* good value, good quality for very, very cheap.

Seems to be Tramontina's angle. They have a line of cookware that's supposed to be 90% of what All-Clad gives you, for 1/3 the cost. I have a couple of their 7" Santokus, they were 2 for $12 at Costco. They're pretty good in an absolute sense, remarkably good for the money.
I've been very happy with my Tramontina stainless pots and pans from Costco. My lady has All-Clad at her place. I suppose a pro could tell the difference. I can't.

Looks like I'll give their blades a shot.

I've been using this: http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... B001H53Q8A for hacking up shit around the yard and for camping. It's been serving well.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:Seems to be Tramontina's angle. They have a line of cookware that's supposed to be 90% of what All-Clad gives you, for 1/3 the cost.
Tramontina Triply. Available only at Walmart.com. I wouldn't go so far as what you suggest, but they're between half and a third the price, for probably 3/4 the performance.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:Seems to be Tramontina's angle. They have a line of cookware that's supposed to be 90% of what All-Clad gives you, for 1/3 the cost.
Tramontina Triply. Available only at Walmart.com. I wouldn't go so far as what you suggest, but they're between half and a third the price, for probably 3/4 the performance.
Not just Walmart. Some nice reviews, some quite in-depth, online.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

toad wrote:I've often thought about this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Kukri- ... b_title_hi

It's cheap and so am I.
Toad,
I have one, and while the knife itself is doable, the sheath is garbage.

I also have a Kabar Kukri machete. It is much better than the Cold Steel, comes very sharp OOTB, and the sheath is vastly better.
It is well worth the extra money.
http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Knives-Mac ... ri+machete

If you insist on being a cheap old fart, get the S&W kukri machete. A friend has one, and it's better than the Cold Steel; particuliarly the sheath.
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWBH ... 0QAEC348V8
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
toad

Post by toad »

Termite:
I've bookmarked that K-Bar Kukri.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Baseball bat is better

If I'm awakened in the middle of the night with intruder close by, I grab bat and engage.

If I have more time, I get firearm into battery.

I have a few firearms hidden around the house with ammo close by, but it still takes a few 10s of seconds to get into battery.

I'm a former fencer, so I usually have swords lying around, but I would grab one of the bats.

Baseball bats are cheap at Big5 and even cheaper at yard sales. When paired with an old mitt, they don't get a second glance from even the most hoplophobic visitors
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

It comes down to two things: Range to contact (advantage - firearm) and rate of fire (advantage - ?)

What are you willing to settle for??

There is a reason that swords fell out of favor for home defense.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Jered

Post by Jered »

If you put a bayonet on your gun, you get the best of both worlds. ;)
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Jered wrote:If you put a bayonet on your gun, you get the best of both worlds. ;)
Doesn't the Type 30 sword bayonet from the Arisaka hit all these wickets?
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum