Toadsticker/Survival Knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell

Toadsticker/Survival Knife

Post by Darrell »

I got a Schrade SCHF9 "Extreme Survival" knife from Amazon today. I was looking for something to round out an order and ran across the knife as a happy accident. Can't beat it with a stick for $37.87:
Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife. Drop point style blade made of 1095 high carbon steel. Full tang with TPE rubber scales and a lanyard hole. Comes with a ballistic nylon sheath with buckled outer pocket and nylon cord leg strap. Overall length: 12.10; Blade length: 6.40"; Blade steel: 1095 Steel; Handle material: TPE; Handle length: 5.70"; Weight: 15.9 ozs.
http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Ext ... rade+knife

It actually appears to be of halfway decent construction. It comes with a decent looking ballistic nylon sheath. I gather it's made in Taiwan; I gather also that the real Schrade went out of business years ago.
schradeschf9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Re: Toadsticker/Survival Knife

Post by Greg »

That's going to be a royal pain to sharpen, but if the heat treat is good it should be a perfectly serviceable knife.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

I know Toad has been a bit off recently, due to some of the various medicines he's on, but isn't something like that usually called a pigsticker? :lol:
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

For my Molle bug out vest, I got one of these and one of these.

I really liked the design of the Gerber Downrange Tomahawk, but wasn't going to pay $200 for it.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Drywall hammer, hm? I'm intrigued. Please talk me through your thought process that led to that purpose.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

skb12172 wrote:Drywall hammer, hm? I'm intrigued. Please talk me through your thought process that led to that purpose.
Makes sense to me. It's a construction tool, you can buy it at Lowe's. It also has a sharp cutting edge. And a hammer head. Good multipurpose tool for the woods and fields and up-close social work.

And, some of my more stressed brethrn in less-free states might be concerned about someone walking down the street with a tomahawk in his belt, but a drywall hammer indicates a guy simply looking for work.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

A roofing hammer works pretty well, too.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

skb12172 wrote:Drywall hammer, hm? I'm intrigued. Please talk me through your thought process that led to that purpose.
Pawpaw pretty much nailed it. A while back my brother in law found a hatchet with a hammer face very similar, but the wood handle was toast. I can strip branches, bury it in someone's head, break glass, pry a car door, hammer tent stakes, or whatever I need to do in a compact package. The Gerber has a much better prying setup, but this will work too.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Jered

Post by Jered »

JustinR wrote:
Pawpaw pretty much nailed it. A while back my brother in law found a hatchet with a hammer face very similar, but the wood handle was toast. I can strip branches, bury it in someone's head, break glass, pry a car door, hammer tent stakes, or whatever I need to do in a compact package. The Gerber has a much better prying setup, but this will work too.
PawPaw nailed the hammer?

:lol:

Anyway, I look the look of that Gerber tomahawk, too, but, I can't see spending $200 on it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Gerber is dead to since the hid the "made ine china" label inside the package of the last one of thier products i bought. after i started using it and realized it was crap i started looking through the package and then found the made in china label on the inside of the package, not on the outside and not on the blade. I hate chinese crap blades even if they have a gerber trademark. Pissed me the hell off that they tricked me, especially since before fisker bought them they always advertized "always made in USA."
They used to be my favorites, now they can get bent.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop