Estwing goes medieval.

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
blackeagle603

Re: Estwing goes medieval.

Post by blackeagle603 »

16 oz "framing" hammer? Nice for driving upholstery tacks, err, finish nailsb I imagine...

My lightest framing hammer is 28 oz, it has a triangular head, I like for driving nails up against tight spots. My 30 oz gets most of the work though.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:16 oz "framing" hammer? Nice for driving upholstery tacks, err, finish nailsb I imagine...

My lightest framing hammer is 28 oz, it has a triangular head, I like for driving nails up against tight spots. My 30 oz gets most of the work though.
I have a 16 oz framing hammer. It's little. Sometimes it's all you need. I do have a larger one as well. Don't like hammers with narrow heads, I've got (my wife would know where, it's technically 'hers') one of those blunt-tipped cone nail drivers for tight spots.

I did once have someone get out of his car and threaten me with a framing hammer, some time ago. I imagine he had it for the same reason I had my 4-d Maglite.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I have a cheap (close-out store purchased) claw hammer in my work bug-out bag. I added it when I read about people escaping the World Trade Center by breaking thru a wall to get to the fire exit using window washing tools, but it would also make a dandy weapon (especially if the person behind it "does" crazy well, which I do). Plus, it's cheap enough that if I have to ditch it because it's too heavy to carry it's no big loss.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Pretty good idea for a bug out bag actually.

Lot of outlaw biker types carry ball peen hammers. Just a tool, ya know. No weapons here Mr. Police officer sir.

* and a proper size framing hammer will allow you to set a 16d on a single stroke. Or two if you're being cautious with the fingie tips on the first stroke.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

There's a fellow on YouTube who goes by the nick "Wranglerstar." From what I understand, he's a wild country firefighter. He and his wife and son live on a homestead in Oregon, and he seems to know quite a bit about axes and tools in general. I first learned about the different angles on the edges of a double bit axe from his channel. I haven't used anything larger than a hatchet in years, but he has a number of very interesting videos about everything from timber framing, to homesteading, to forestry in general. He and his wife used a "misery whip" to cut down a huge Doug Fir. It took them all day, but I was impressed with the way they worked together.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Odahi wrote:He and his wife used a "misery whip" to cut down a huge Doug Fir. It took them all day, but I was impressed with the way they worked together.
My dad had an old one of those. I don't think I ever really forgave him for giving it away... IIRC, the guy he gave it to, painted it, put his house number on it, and hung it over his garage. (once again, we need a puking smiley).
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote:Pretty good idea for a bug out bag actually.
One of those Stanley "Universal Wrecking tools" is actually a better idea, I think, and about a quarter the price of the nearly identical Stanley "Entry tool". :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Estwing: for when you just gotta chop a fool.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds